Point-Set Topology Question: Convergence on Open and Closed Intervals

• Thread starter Poopsilon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topology
In summary, Baby Rudin discusses the issue of uniform convergence on single points, and states that it must be discussed with respect to sets. However, he does not elaborate on this concept.
Poopsilon
I debated whether to put this in this sub-forum or in the Topology & Geometry sub-forum, but I decided I'd give you guys the first crack at it:

Take the union of all open intervals on the real numbers which do not include the number 1, call this union A. Then take the union of all closed intervals on the real numbers which do not include the number 1, call this union B. I am fairly confident that every point in B is a point in A, but I cannot decide if the reverse is true.

I mean I kind of want to say it is because I could take the infinite union of the intervals [0 k/k+1] and this would become the interval [0,1), not closed I know but as Rudin clearly states infinite unions of closed sets need not be closed.

To give some context, this basically came up as an ancillary consideration in one of the problems on uniform convergence in chapter 7 of Baby Rudin. If a sequence of functions appears to converge uniformly on any bounded interval, and is continuous on any bounded interval not including 1, where there is a vertical asymptote, than this means any closed interval should suffice.
With just point-wise convergence I can just set an interval to be (a,1), but I have to use that infinite union trick with closed intervals, does this make sense, am I just telling tales out of school or what?

Sorry if this should go in the Homework Forum, it was a borderline case.

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework, topology, analysis...all three options make sense. If x is a member of A, it's also a member of a closed interval [a,b] that contains x but not 0, so x is a member of B. If x is a member of B, it's also a member of an open interval (a,b) that contains x but not 0, so x is a member of A.

Ok, that makes sense ( I assume you mean 1 not 0). In regards to the function I discussed, I still must describe the sets upon which f converges uniformly in terms of closed or bounded intervals, correct? I still would not be able to say that f converges uniformly on any open interval, even though every point of A is a point of B and visa versa.

If this is in fact the case I assume it comes from the nonsensicalness of discussing uniform convergence on single points; instead it must be discussed with respect to sets. Rudin makes this remark explicit with regard to point-wise continuity vs uniform continuity, but does not expound upon the analogous issue of point-wise vs uniform convergence.

1. What is point-set topology?

Point-set topology is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of properties and structures of topological spaces. It focuses on the behavior of sets and their subsets under continuous transformations and provides a framework for understanding the concepts of continuity, convergence, and compactness.

2. What are some key concepts in point-set topology?

Some key concepts in point-set topology include topological space, open and closed sets, convergence, continuity, compactness, and connectedness. These concepts help in the analysis and classification of topological spaces and their properties.

3. How is point-set topology different from other branches of topology?

Point-set topology differs from other branches of topology, such as algebraic topology and differential topology, in that it focuses on the study of topological spaces without the use of algebraic or geometric techniques. It deals with the basic properties of topological spaces and their subsets, while other branches use algebraic or geometric methods to study more complex structures.

4. What are some real-world applications of point-set topology?

Point-set topology has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. For example, it can be used to analyze the behavior of fluids, study the structure of networks, and understand the properties of economic systems.

5. What are some resources for learning more about point-set topology?

There are many books, online courses, and academic websites that provide comprehensive resources for learning about point-set topology. Some recommended resources include "Topology" by James Munkres, "A First Course in Topology: Continuity and Dimension" by John McCleary, and the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy's entry on "Point-Set Topology."