Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poisson and continuity equation for collapsing polytropes

1. Aug 12, 2012 #1
    Hello everybody!
    I am using in my studies this beautiful book by Kippenhahn & Weigert, "Stellar Structure and Evolution", but I have some problems about collapsing polytropes (chapter 19.11)...
    After defining dimensionless lenght-scale z by:
    [itex]r=a(t)z[/itex]
    and a velocity potential [itex]\psi[/itex]:
    [itex]\frac{\partial r}{\partial t}=v_r=\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial r}[/itex]
    the authors rewrite the Poisson equation:
    [itex]\frac{1}{z^2}\frac{\partial}{\partial z}(z^2\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial z})=4\pi G\rho a^2[/itex]
    but I think there should be the gravitational potential [itex]\phi[/itex] instead of [itex]\psi[/itex], in fact performing a simple dimensional analysis shows that the left hand side is a square lenght over time, while the right hand side is a square lenght over square time, so I think the equation is wrong... Am I right? Did I miss something? :confused:
    Help please!
    Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2012 #2
    Ok, i got through it, and there is a mistake, indeed. The function in the differential equation is [itex]\Phi[/itex], the gravitational potential, and not the velocity potential [itex]\psi[/itex]... I found the correct formula... in the following page :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
    Life lesson: always read until end of chapter! (or paragraph at least...)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook