1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poisson distribution and random processes

1. Nov 11, 2011 #1
    Hello!

I am writing because I recently became interested in probability distributions, and I have to you a few questions.

Poisson distribution is given as a probability:

[itex]f(k;\lambda)=\frac{\lambda^{k}e^{-\lambda}}{k!}[/itex]

But what is lambda?

Suppose that we consider as an unrelated incident falling raindrops. If these drops fall 100 in 1 on a surface second how much [itex]\lambda[/itex] will be?

How to check if the falling drops of rain or some other unrelated events are described in this distribution?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2011 #2
    From Wikipedia: λ is a positive real number, equal to the expected number of occurrences during the given interval. For instance, if the events occur on average 4 times per minute, and one is interested in the probability of an event occurring k times in a 10 minute interval, one would use a Poisson distribution as the model with λ = 10×4 = 40.

I'm not sure what you mean by "100 in 1."

4. Nov 12, 2011 #3
    Meant falling about 100 drops per second on the area.

Im curious how can be checked whether a process is described in this distribution.

For example, the number of drops falling on the glass. How can I check if they are described Poisson distribution.

5. Nov 12, 2011 #4
    I think you would also need a time, since λ measures the expected number of occurrences and not the rate.

I've only taken one statistics course, but generally the problem will explicitly tell you if it follows a Poisson distribution. There are tests for Poission distributions if you're doing "real world" statistics, but I don't know anything about such tests. Maybe try googling "Poisson distribution test."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook