Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Poissons' equation of find potential

1. Oct 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two infinte parallel plates separated by a distance s are at potentials 0 and V_o.
    a) Use poisson's equation to find the potential V in the region between the plates where the space charge density is [tex]\rho[/tex] = [tex]\rho_o[/tex](x/s). The distance x is measured from the plate at zero potential.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex] V = -[tex]\frac{1}{\epsilon_o}\rho[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used the Poisson's equation as stated but could not really get logical looking V. Charge densities on the plates are pain in the neck also.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2008 #2
    The equation you list under 2., is not Poisson's equation. Poisson's equation will be simple for this case.

4. Oct 11, 2008 #3
    thanks brogwal, i resolved my equation, that was blunder. But i am stuck again :(

5. Oct 11, 2008 #4
    Hint: is V gonna depend on y and z?

6. Oct 11, 2008 #5
    No, V does not depend on y and z. I did not get the hint :c

7. Oct 11, 2008 #6
    Just write out the equation for V in the case it depends only on x [you do know what [itex] \nabla^2 [/itex] stands for I hope!]. I'm sure you can solve that equation.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook