1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poissons' equation of find potential

1. Oct 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two infinte parallel plates separated by a distance s are at potentials 0 and V_o.
    a) Use poisson's equation to find the potential V in the region between the plates where the space charge density is [tex]\rho[/tex] = [tex]\rho_o[/tex](x/s). The distance x is measured from the plate at zero potential.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex] V = -[tex]\frac{1}{\epsilon_o}\rho[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used the Poisson's equation as stated but could not really get logical looking V. Charge densities on the plates are pain in the neck also.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2008 #2
    The equation you list under 2., is not Poisson's equation. Poisson's equation will be simple for this case.

4. Oct 11, 2008 #3
    thanks brogwal, i resolved my equation, that was blunder. But i am stuck again :(

5. Oct 11, 2008 #4
    Hint: is V gonna depend on y and z?

6. Oct 11, 2008 #5
    No, V does not depend on y and z. I did not get the hint :c

7. Oct 11, 2008 #6
    Just write out the equation for V in the case it depends only on x [you do know what [itex] \nabla^2 [/itex] stands for I hope!]. I'm sure you can solve that equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?