Find potential energy using time-independent Schrodinger's equation

In summary, the conversation is about finding the equation for U(x) and determining its properties. The speaker had already found the equation (2h^2/mL^4)(x^2 - 3L^2/2) by plugging in the wave function and simplifying. The solution key states that U(x) is a parabola centred at x=0 with U(0) = -3h^2/mL^2. The speaker asks if they need to plug in 0 for x to get the correct answer and how to determine that U(x) is a parabola centred at x=0.
eloiseh
Homework Statement
In a region of space, a particle with mass m and with zero energy has a time-independent wave function ψ(x) = Axe^(−x^2/L^2) where A and L are constants.
Determine the potential energy U(x) of the particle.
Relevant Equations
The time-independent Schrodinger's equation
I had found what U(x) was equal to already by plugging in the wave function and simplifying, which is (2h^2/mL^4)(x^2 - 3L^2/2) by the way.

But the solution key that I have goes an extra step. After stating the equation of U(x) that I got, it says that: "U(x) is a parabola centred at x = 0 with U(0) = −3h^2/mL^2"

Does that mean that I have to plug 0 in for x for the right answer? And how to determine that U(x) is a parabola centred at x=0?

Physics news on Phys.org
eloiseh said:
I had found what U(x) was equal to already by plugging in the wave function and simplifying, which is (2h^2/mL^4)(x^2 - 3L^2/2) by the way.

Does that mean that I have to plug 0 in for x for the right answer? And how to determine that U(x) is a parabola centred at x=0?
Your solution is a parabola centred at ##x=0##.

• Informative
Likes eloiseh
PeroK said:
Your solution is a parabola centred at ##x=0##.
Thank you so much!

1. What is the time-independent Schrodinger's equation?

The time-independent Schrodinger's equation is a mathematical equation used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a quantum system. It is a partial differential equation that relates the energy of a particle to its wave function.

2. How is potential energy calculated using the time-independent Schrodinger's equation?

Potential energy can be calculated by solving the time-independent Schrodinger's equation for the wave function of a particle in a given potential energy field. The potential energy is then equal to the expectation value of the Hamiltonian operator, which is a mathematical representation of the total energy of the system.

3. What is the significance of the time-independent Schrodinger's equation in quantum mechanics?

The time-independent Schrodinger's equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and is used to describe the behavior of particles on a microscopic level. It allows us to understand the energy levels and behavior of quantum systems, and has been crucial in the development of many modern technologies such as transistors and lasers.

4. Are there any limitations to the time-independent Schrodinger's equation?

Yes, the time-independent Schrodinger's equation is limited to non-relativistic systems and does not take into account the effects of special relativity. It also does not apply to systems with time-dependent potentials.

5. How is the time-independent Schrodinger's equation related to the time-dependent Schrodinger's equation?

The time-independent Schrodinger's equation is a special case of the time-dependent Schrodinger's equation, where the potential energy is independent of time. The time-dependent equation also takes into account the time evolution of the wave function, while the time-independent equation gives a stationary solution for the wave function.