1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polarisation on the surface of a sphere

1. Jan 31, 2007 #1
    I am trying to answer a question that states:
    There is a sphere of radius R centred at the origin with a polarisation P = C(xi+yi+zk), where C is a constant, at the surface. What is the total charge in the sphere if there is no net charge?

I know that P= Nqd where N is the number of charges, q is the charge on each one, and d is the separation distance in the dipoles. But I do not see how to relate this to the sphere in the question. I do not know of any individual charges in the sphere or of any dipoles, or should I be taking these as atoms?
    Any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2007 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The collection of dipoles leads to formation of bound charges on the surface and within the material.

So, to calculate the total charge, you need to apply Gauss's law for a dielectric.

For additional material try,
    - http://www.du.edu/~jcalvert/phys/polariza.htm - The influence of matter on the electric field
    - Chapter 4 (3rd edition), Introduction to Electrodynamics, David J Griffiths
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?