Polarization in Bohmian mechanics

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of Bohmian mechanics to explain the working of a polarizer and the description of photons in this context. It was suggested that the concept of "Bohmian mechanics for instrumentalists" could provide a straightforward explanation for the measurement of polarization. Additionally, the dissipation in the length of the Stokes vector was mentioned as a non-unitary aspect that could be explained by Bohmian mechanics at a more fundamental level. Further details and references were provided for this idea.
A. Neumaier said:
I didn't refer to QFT, so your interpretation of what I said is unfounded. The process described follows from QED, but is modeled in the analysis of actual quantum optics experiments in a coarse-grained fashion.
Of course. It's still not clear to me what you are after here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Demystifier said:
The one linked in my signature below.
Yes, I did. As you know, I've my quibbles with listing photons just along massive particles, and I'm not convinced that there's a consistent Bohmian reinterpretation of relativistic QFT.

vanhees71 said:
Yes, I did. As you know, I've my quibbles with listing photons just along massive particles, and I'm not convinced that there's a consistent Bohmian reinterpretation of relativistic QFT.
If you did, then you know that particles of the Standard Model, including photons, do not have Bohmian trajectories in my version of BM. In this way, this version of BM is very similar to the minimal standard interpretation of relativistic QFT, which, I believe, you could find satisfying.

Demystifier said:
I think showing signature is the default.

Even so, if you are going to reference a paper in a specific thread, it's a good idea to put the link directly in a post instead of relying on your sig.

vanhees71 said:
I've strong doubts that there's a Bohmian interpretation for photons. Photons are the least particle-like quanta directly observable to us. A position observable makes only a much reduced sense. All we know are detection probabilities given the state of the em. field, where the position does not directly refer to a photon but only to the location of the detector used to register the photon having interacted with it at its position.
There is no need for a photon position, given that the much more natural approach ist Bohmian field theory. A standard reference for this is
Bohm.D., Hiley, B.J., Kaloyerou, P.N. (1987). An ontological basis for the quantum theory, Phys. Reports 144(6), 321-375

Likes vanhees71
<h2>What is polarization in Bohmian mechanics?</h2><p>Polarization in Bohmian mechanics refers to the orientation of a particle's spin or angular momentum. In this theory, particles have definite positions and momenta, but their spins are not predetermined. Instead, the spin of a particle is determined by its interaction with its surrounding environment.</p><h2>How does polarization work in Bohmian mechanics?</h2><p>In Bohmian mechanics, particles have a definite position and momentum, but their spins are not predetermined. Instead, the spin of a particle is determined by its interaction with its surrounding environment. This interaction is described by the guiding equation, which takes into account the particle's position, momentum, and the potential energy of the surrounding environment.</p><h2>What is the significance of polarization in Bohmian mechanics?</h2><p>Polarization in Bohmian mechanics is significant because it helps explain the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It allows for the prediction of spin states and the understanding of quantum phenomena such as entanglement and superposition.</p><h2>How does polarization differ in Bohmian mechanics compared to other quantum theories?</h2><p>In other quantum theories, such as the Copenhagen interpretation, particles do not have definite positions or momenta until they are measured. However, in Bohmian mechanics, particles have definite positions and momenta at all times, and their spins are determined by their interaction with the environment. This leads to a different understanding of polarization and other quantum phenomena.</p><h2>What evidence supports the concept of polarization in Bohmian mechanics?</h2><p>There is currently no direct experimental evidence for the concept of polarization in Bohmian mechanics. However, the theory has been successful in explaining and predicting the behavior of particles at the quantum level, and it is consistent with other well-established quantum theories. Further research and experimentation may provide more evidence for the validity of this concept.</p>

What is polarization in Bohmian mechanics?

Polarization in Bohmian mechanics refers to the orientation of a particle's spin or angular momentum. In this theory, particles have definite positions and momenta, but their spins are not predetermined. Instead, the spin of a particle is determined by its interaction with its surrounding environment.

How does polarization work in Bohmian mechanics?

In Bohmian mechanics, particles have a definite position and momentum, but their spins are not predetermined. Instead, the spin of a particle is determined by its interaction with its surrounding environment. This interaction is described by the guiding equation, which takes into account the particle's position, momentum, and the potential energy of the surrounding environment.

What is the significance of polarization in Bohmian mechanics?

Polarization in Bohmian mechanics is significant because it helps explain the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It allows for the prediction of spin states and the understanding of quantum phenomena such as entanglement and superposition.

How does polarization differ in Bohmian mechanics compared to other quantum theories?

In other quantum theories, such as the Copenhagen interpretation, particles do not have definite positions or momenta until they are measured. However, in Bohmian mechanics, particles have definite positions and momenta at all times, and their spins are determined by their interaction with the environment. This leads to a different understanding of polarization and other quantum phenomena.

What evidence supports the concept of polarization in Bohmian mechanics?

There is currently no direct experimental evidence for the concept of polarization in Bohmian mechanics. However, the theory has been successful in explaining and predicting the behavior of particles at the quantum level, and it is consistent with other well-established quantum theories. Further research and experimentation may provide more evidence for the validity of this concept.