1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polarizing Light through Two Filters

1. Jan 21, 2013 #1
    Hello, all.

I have a general question related to something I read in a book right now. Not taking a course so I have no professor to ask, so I come to you all!

To speed things up, I have this image I took from the book:
    xlvMtdrl.png

My question is if the analyzer's polarizing axis was an arbitrary theta from the vertical, then E perpendicular would still lie on it's axis, right? As long as it wasn't perpendicular.

I'm having a hard time visualizing this for some reason.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2013 #2
    E perpendicular is by definition taken perpendicularly to the analyzer's axis, no matter how the latter axis is oriented.

4. Jan 22, 2013 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Say the analyzer's axis is at angle θ where θ is measured clockwise from the vertical, same as with phi, the polarizer axis angle. Then the electric field vector at the analyzer output would be oriented as θ with magnitude cos(θ - phi). In your illustration, θ = 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook