Police dept, Sherrif dept, US Marshal

• News
  • Thread starter DanP
  • Start date
In summary: One of the many agencies within the Department of Justice that enforce federal law is the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The FBI is made up of field offices located throughout the United States. Each field office is responsible for the investigation of crimes that occur within its jurisdiction. The Department of Justice also has other agencies at its disposal, such as the US Marshal Service, which has the authority to serve federal arrest warrants and to carry out other law enforcement duties within the United States. The relationship between the police, sheriff, and US Marshal is not always clear-cut. For example, the police may have primary jurisdiction over a particular area, while the sheriff has jurisdiction over the county within that area. The US Marshal
DanP
Guys, can anyone tell me the relationships between Police dept, Sheriff dept, US Marshal in USA?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
here at least, police tend to be law enforcement officials at the local (city/town) level. sheriffs are at the county level of government (louisiana is the only state i know of with parishes instead of counties). us marshalls are at the federal level and enforce national law and have nationwide jurisdiction.

there seems to be some flexibility on jurisdictional issues since 9/11, tho. for example, we have cops from distant cities, as well as sheriffs and state troopers doing law enforcement on the interstate highways, now.

Police are usually municipal - city, village, town.

Sheriff and deputy sheriffs = county, a political entity larger than a city, town or village, although large cities like Houston and NY City could been in several counties. Each state has many counties.

State Police = Police force for state, e.g., NY, California, Texas.

At the federal level there are numerous law enforcement agencies, e.g. FBI, US Marshall, Secret Service, INS (Immigration), . . . .

And let's not leave out the Game Wardens. In Maine, they have all the authorities conferred on the Maine State Police with the additional (and primary) duties of protecting our natural resources. It can be a thankless and dangerous job, especially since wardens generally patrol alone, and perpetrators (especially during hunting season) are frequently armed.

A good friend of mine retired as head of the Maine Warden service several years ago. One night, he was lounging near the wood-stove in the finished basement in his briefs and a T-shirt, and his son hollered down that there had been shots close to the house (popular area for poachers to jack deer at night). He jumped up, ran to the garage and hopped in his cruiser and set off after the suspects, who were in a large PU with a wrecker boom. He called for assistance when he found himself getting shot at from the passenger-window of the truck. He got alongside the truck, jerked the wheel, and drove them into the ditch, and the driver and occupants bailed out and hit the woods. He ran into the woods after them with his handgun, wearing just the T-shirt and briefs, when he heard a trooper pulling up. He ran to the trooper's cruiser, and got a pair of sweats and some socks out of the trooper's gym bag, and they headed back into the woods. They arrested two of the guys that night and got the third the next day. Fodder for Turkey-Day stories for the kiddies for years to come. ;-) What do you do in YOUR Fruit of the Looms?

Then we have the Marine patrol, who not only protect coastal resources, but end up trying to resolve disputes from fishermen and lobstermen, etc, who have encroached on one anothers' territories. Lobster-trapping is especially territorial, with trapping areas jealously guarded against encroachment. In theory, if you have a valid license, you can go out and set traps, but in practice, if you set traps in areas that have been "traditionally" used by a particular family, especially around some of the inhabited islands, you will find your pot-lines cut, and your traps lost on the bottom. Shootings occur when this behavior escalates.

Last edited:
Yeah. I used to subscribe to the magazine "Outdoor California", which is published by the California Department of Fish and Game (DFG). Each issue would have a 1-page true story from a Game Warden, much like the one you told. Amazing stuff. As you say, alone, often in the dark, confronting multiple armed subjects. I didn't see any of the stories listed online (quick glance only), but here is some more info on the DFG wardens:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/enforcement/

berkeman said:
Yeah. I used to subscribe to the magazine "Outdoor California", which is published by the California Department of Fish and Game (DFG). Each issue would have a 1-page true story from a Game Warden, much like the one you told. Amazing stuff. As you say, alone, often in the dark, confronting multiple armed subjects. I didn't see any of the stories listed online (quick glance only), but here is some more info on the DFG wardens:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/enforcement/

I have spent multi-day excursions out in the north woods with my warden friend, and believe me, they have to be resourceful. Drive on nasty rutted roads strewn with tire-slashing ledge and slate for hours and hours, and find yourself in a situation... You can guess how soon back-up might arrive, and how quickly you have to resolve a bad situation so that nobody gets killed. When his son graduated from the law-enforcement academy and passed warden training, his first posting was at Estcourt, and the very northern tip of Maine. I love the kid, and I'm proud of him for taking (and actually requesting) that posting - pretty much all alone if things go bad.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
Police are usually municipal - city, village, town.

Sheriff and deputy sheriffs = county, a political entity larger than a city, town or village, although large cities like Houston and NY City could been in several counties. Each state has many counties.

State Police = Police force for state, e.g., NY, California, Texas.

At the federal level there are numerous law enforcement agencies, e.g. FBI, US Marshall, Secret Service, INS (Immigration), . . . .
Don't forget US Customs and Border Patrol, which oddly, was part of the Treasury Department before 9/11.

DanP said:
Guys, can anyone tell me the relationships between Police dept, Sheriff dept, US Marshal in USA?

Thanks.

A relationship between those three that you have mentioned is found within the United States Bureau of Justice Assistance. Here’s a great example of how those three work together in a relationship with youth. :-)

In 2008, a task force was established in New Jersey to help expand G.R.E.A.T. and to serve the needs of the community’s youth. The task force is comprised of law enforcement officers from the U.S. Marshals, the Jersey City Police Department, the Hudson County Sheriff’s Office, and the Hudson County Department of Corrections. This illustrates the benefit of law enforcement working together to help children succeed.

What is G.R.E.A.T.?

The Gang Resistance Education and Training Program (G.R.E.A.T.) is a school based, law enforcement officer-instructed classroom curriculum. The G.R.E.A.T. lessons focus on providing life skills to students to help them avoid delinquent behavior, youth violence, and gang membership. The Office of Justice Programs, Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA), administers the G.R.E.A.T. program. The U.S. Marshals, in collaboration with local law enforcement and community partners, began a nationwide initiative in 2007 to teach the G.R.E.A.T. program.
http://www.usmarshals.gov/great/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
DanP, I'm not a guy! I'm a doll. :biggrin:

The sheriff and police designations are state dependent. In a few states the sheriff does little while in some states such as where I live the sheriff enforces the law in counties.

Evo said:
Don't forget US Customs and Border Patrol, which oddly, was part of the Treasury Department before 9/11.

This dates from the very earliest days of our nation. Alex Hamilton set up this arrangement to ensure that tariffs and such went to the national treasury. In those days this was the main source of income for our new nation. Naturally the states who had been the benefactors of this source of income were not to happy about it.

1. What is the difference between a police department, sheriff department, and US Marshal?

A police department is a local law enforcement agency that is responsible for maintaining public safety and enforcing laws within a specific city or town. A sheriff department is a county-level law enforcement agency that has jurisdiction over the entire county and is responsible for enforcing state laws and court orders. The US Marshals Service is a federal law enforcement agency that is responsible for protecting the federal judiciary, apprehending fugitives, and conducting asset forfeiture operations.

2. What are the qualifications to become a police officer, sheriff deputy, or US Marshal?

The exact qualifications may vary depending on the jurisdiction, but typically, candidates must be at least 21 years old, have a high school diploma or GED, and pass physical and written exams. Some departments may also require a college degree or prior military experience.

3. What are the duties and responsibilities of a police officer, sheriff deputy, and US Marshal?

A police officer's main duty is to protect and serve the public by enforcing laws, responding to emergency calls, and conducting investigations. A sheriff deputy's responsibilities include providing security for the county courthouse, serving legal documents, and patrolling unincorporated areas of the county. US Marshals are responsible for apprehending federal fugitives, protecting federal judges and court officers, and transporting prisoners.

4. How are police departments, sheriff departments, and US Marshals funded?

Police departments and sheriff departments are typically funded by local government budgets, which may include taxes, grants, and other sources of revenue. The US Marshals Service is funded by the federal government through the Department of Justice budget.

5. What is the process for reporting a crime to a police department, sheriff department, or US Marshals?

If you witness or are a victim of a crime, you can report it to your local police department or sheriff department by calling their non-emergency number or visiting their station. For federal crimes, you can report them to the US Marshals Service by contacting your nearest field office or by calling the US Marshals Service tip line. In case of emergency, always call 911.