Do Police Sketches Really Look Like Suspects?

• Thread starter Moonbear
  • Start date
In summary, the sketches of suspects that are released to help catch criminals often look very similar to the suspects themselves. The artist may not be very good at drawing eyes, so they often include sunglasses to cover them up.
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You know those sketches the police put out of suspects to help catch them? Do they ever look like real people to you, and when they catch the suspect, do they ever really look like them?

I'm sitting here laughing because they just showed on TV a sketch of some serial rapist, and had the FBI sketch artist who drew it holding it up, and would've sworn it looked a whole lot like the guy drew a self-portrait! When I was in grad school, the bio office had a whole bunch of sketches up on the wall (the building was bordering a BAD area of town, so there were a lot of local robberies, etc). I just sat amazed one day that they all looked the same to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Woah!

Putting together sketches of suspects that are actually helpful isn't easy. And I'd know, because that's my job! :smile:

But yeah, not very many talented artists go into this field, so that's why a lot of the sketches look way too similar or just aren't very good.

I've seen sketches and then the picture of the actual criminal and they didn't look very similar to me.

sfed

It's a depressing job, too. Drawing pictures of ornery folk all day long really wears on you. :cry:

Hi Kount! Glad you decided to join us!

I sometimes wonder how you can even try to get a reasonable picture of someone. I mean, even if I know what someone looks like, if I have NO artistic ability at all (and I don't), how do I go about explaining to someone else how to draw that person? I'd be saying something like: well, they had brown hair, curly, short, I don't know what you call that style, and they were caucasion, and, I think they had brown eyes. Nose? Yeah, he had a nose. He had lips and eyebrows too. What shape face? I don't know. It was face shaped, I guess. I mean, not all misshapen or anything. Just normal.

It sure would be a lot easier if criminals only attacked when artists were there as witnesses, then they could draw good pictures of who they saw.

They probably never look alike because they are always describing their worst enemy in hopes that they get busted for it.

Yea when I look at the cells under the microscope.. they all look the same to me too :approve:

I thought that the Unabomber sketch was amazingly close to what he looked like at the tiime

tribdog said:
I thought that the Unabomber sketch was amazingly close to what he looked like at the tiime

Just luck. All reclusive madmen look alike, don't they? :biggrin:

Usually, sketch artists show the witness a series of pictures having different facial structures, hair styles, types of facial hair, skin color, shapes of noses, eyes, etc. This makes the depiction a lot more accurate.

Perhaps the Kount can verify this.

Check out how close the Ted Kaczinsky sketch turned out :biggrin:
ted-kaczynski-mug-and-sketch.jpg

The sketch artist that day was no good at doing eyes, so he just threw in the dark glasses to cover up ! :wink:

Actually, it was a lot better than that picture makes it look. I remember an article in a Reader's Digest, that discussed police sketch artists. The Unabomber story was one of the successes of sketch artistry...I think.

Gokul43201 said:
Usually, sketch artists show the witness a series of pictures having different facial structures, hair styles, types of facial hair, skin color, shapes of noses, eyes, etc. This makes the depiction a lot more accurate.

Perhaps the Kount can verify this.

Check out how close the Ted Kaczinsky sketch turned out :biggrin:
ted-kaczynski-mug-and-sketch.jpg

The sketch artist that day was no good at doing eyes, so he just threw in the dark glasses to cover up ! :wink:

Actually, it was a lot better than that picture makes it look. I remember an article in a Reader's Digest, that discussed police sketch artists. The Unabomber story was one of the successes of sketch artistry...I think.

:rofl: That sketch looks like my step-brother! :rofl:

It's neat how you can see the artist himself reflected in the sunglass lenses.

1. Do police sketches actually help catch suspects?

There is no definitive answer to this question as it ultimately depends on the accuracy of the sketch and the information provided by witnesses. However, police sketches have been successful in identifying and apprehending suspects in numerous cases.

2. How do police artists create accurate sketches without seeing the suspect in person?

Police artists use witness descriptions and memory recall techniques to create sketches of suspects. They may also use reference photos or composite software to create a more accurate depiction.

3. Can police sketches be used as evidence in court?

While police sketches can help lead to the identification and arrest of a suspect, they are not typically admissible as evidence in court as they are considered hearsay. Other forms of evidence, such as DNA or eyewitness testimony, are usually needed to secure a conviction.

4. How long does it take to create a police sketch?

The amount of time it takes to create a police sketch varies depending on the complexity of the case and the information provided by witnesses. It can take anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours to create a sketch.

5. Do police sketches ever lead to the wrong suspect being arrested?

While it is possible for a police sketch to lead to the wrong person being arrested, it is not common. Police artists are trained to create accurate sketches based on witness descriptions, and law enforcement agencies typically have a thorough process in place to verify the accuracy of the sketch before making an arrest.