Potential Difference/Voltage-Graph Help Needed (Long)

In summary: But I dunno where to start, and the instructions in the book are kinda vague...So, can somebody please clarify this for me? I'm really lost and I'd appreciate any help!In summary, the first version of the lab had metal plaques that measured voltage across the x = 0 line, between the two plaques, and outside the metal plaque on the right. The second version had metal cylinders that measured voltage across the x = 0 line, between the two cylinders, and outside the metal plaque on the right. The third version had the same measurements as the second version, but with the addition of a graph to represent the Electric Field E.
Const@ntine

Homework Statement

Alright, this is a Lab Exercise, so it's light on an actual introduction and data, but I'll do my best to put into words the whole thing. The gist of it is that we have a Vat with water, a millimetre paper at the bottom, and we put two Equipotential surfaces inside. We charge them, and then we take the splinter and measure the V in various places. Here's the "default" version:

4xuqqYv.jpg

Version One: Metal Plaques

xzN1sg6.png

As an FYI, it's about 10cm between the plaques, and we measure 5cm on the left, and 5cm on the right, outside of the plaques.

First up, we have to take measurements of V across the x = 0 line (meaning left and right only), outside of the metal plaque on the left, between the two plaques, and outside the metal plaque on the right. Here are the findings:

FR6APPk.jpg

Then, we have to pick a certain number for V (whatever we want), and find the co-ordinates x & y that correspond to said V. We have to do that three times; once close to the left, once in the middle, and once close to the right. Here's what I have:

he4v4Dy.jpg

Version Two: Metal Cyllinders

flBDqy5.png

Again an FYI, from the center (it's why I drew the x/y axis, to make it clearer, the cross is not part of the "ensemble"), it's about 5cm from each side till we hit the small circle, then 7cm until we hit the big circle, and then we take measurements 5cm outside of it.

In the second version, we do exactly the same things. But, due to the symmetry, we technically only had to measure one side (we chose the right on the First Exercise with the x-axis) and quarter(the one with a certain V; this time we measured the right and down quarter). So, for the V Measurements, we have:

FgHWNgY.jpg

And for the V = Stable one, we have:

2oSoYFI.jpg

This is for the small arch, closer to the small cylinder.

BRDaOmw.jpg

This is for the center arch, inbetween the two cylinders.

whZ0BeO.jpg

This is for the big arch, closer to the bir cylinder.

Alright, so good so far, but here's what I have to do now:

1) Construct the V=V(x) graphs for each Version.
2) Construct the E=E(x) graphs for each Version.
3) Construct the Equipotential and Dynamic Lines

Homework Equations

E = -dV/dr*r

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so, I need help the Graphs. All of them. I'm completely lost and I don't know what to do. We were supposed to do the first 4 there, but for some reason this particular professor has some sort of grudge against my partner, so he kicked us out of the work station, even though we still had about 30 minutes of Lab-Time left. I tried reaching my partner, but he's not responding, so...

Anyway, I could really use some help on all the Graphs. We're supposed to do them on Origin, if anybody has it, so that'd be preferable. I obtained it last week (the less said about that the better; some Uni...), so I don't know how to use it that good just yet, so in case you take that route, I'd appreciate a walk through on what you did. By hand is also acceptable, no problem.

He had us draw some stand-in graphs, which I'll be posting here, but I'd like someone to explain to me WHY they look like this. I missed my whole 3rd Semester (illnesses, hospitals, you name it), so now that I'm on the 4th, and Lab IV is based on curriculum from Physics III, I'm having a bit of trouble.

First up, we have the V=V(x) ones.
IlMFvC2.png

This is for the Plaques.

AppO2N3.png

This is for the Cylinders.

For starters, can someone tell me what the graph "means"? Is it just a representation of the correlation of Voltage and the distance? As if we're saying V=f(x)? It's a tad of a silly question, but my book doesn't have Graphs.Then we have E=E(x).
tF8dWM8.png

This is for the Plaques.

Pzvypcy.png

This is for the Cylinders.

From what I gather, E is kinda like the a to the u when talking about velocity and acceleration. So if say, u is stable, then a is 0, and if u is rising steadily, then a is stable. My problem is that the leaflet's instructions on constructing the E=E(x) are:

"Construct the V=V(x) graph. Be careful, V on top of the conductors (metal plaques/cylinders) is entirely different than in the water (sidenote: the vat contains water). This spot constitutes a spot ofdiscontinuity on the graph. From the sloop of the graph, by bringing the tangent on various places, compute the Electric Field E and construct the E=E(x) graph."

From what I'm getting, he means that I should go to each "section" of V, find the sloop if it's decreasing/increasing, mark that as E, or if it's stable mark E as 0, and the construct a graph that looks like the ones above.

As for drawing/sketching the Equipotential Surfaces & Dynamic Lines, I whipped up some 1-minute "graphs" (no numbers and whatnot, just basic drawings) just to see if my thinking is correct (the Surfaces are the dotted lines, and the Dyanmic Lines are the "straight" black ones):

HLKTNvI.jpg

What I'm curious about here is; the book says that all Dynamic Lines are perpendicular to the surfaces, going from Positively Charged, to negatively. So, like the pic above. However, the Professor told us that the Dynamic Lines would be "parallel" to the Equipotential Surfaces, which I don't see how it works. Did he just make a blunder or am I missing something?

IxIovIj.jpg

-----

Look, I realize this whole thing is a bit of a mess, but I could really use the help. The exercise is due on the 22nd, so "technically" tomorrow for me (it's 00:40 on the 21st for me), or really I just have one more day left. Anyway, like I said, I missed the previous Semester and I'm getting my buttocks kicked, so I could greatly use any help to keep going until the summer where I can catch up. So I'd really love it if alongside the graphs you could throw some explanations in.

I'd ask my Lab Partner, but he's working nights to make ends meet, and has failed this Lab once before, so the poor guy ain't of much help. He tries, but he misses emails and such. It's my fault for not uploading it here sooner, but I totally forgot about it since I had other Labs to attend to as well. All in all, it's a Uni that's not really fit to teach, so you guys are my only chances here.

Thanks for the help, it's greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 4xuqqYv.jpg
    4xuqqYv.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 355
  • xzN1sg6.png
    xzN1sg6.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 329
  • FR6APPk.jpg
    FR6APPk.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 345
  • he4v4Dy.jpg
    he4v4Dy.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 315
  • flBDqy5.png
    flBDqy5.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 413
  • FgHWNgY.jpg
    FgHWNgY.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 298
  • 2oSoYFI.jpg
    2oSoYFI.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 324
  • BRDaOmw.jpg
    BRDaOmw.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 329
  • whZ0BeO.jpg
    whZ0BeO.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 324
  • IlMFvC2.png
    IlMFvC2.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 305
  • AppO2N3.png
    AppO2N3.png
    2 KB · Views: 324
  • tF8dWM8.png
    tF8dWM8.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 319
  • Pzvypcy.png
    Pzvypcy.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 326
  • HLKTNvI.jpg
    HLKTNvI.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 325
  • IxIovIj.jpg
    IxIovIj.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 315
Physics news on Phys.org
I just saw this, so I know your deadline is gone. I'm on my phone so I did not read everything. Thank you for your the "long" heads up. Sometimes you just have to write up what you can from what you observed. I would suggest trying to get in a study group with some more people so you can talk through ideas with each other

1. What is potential difference or voltage?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and represents the amount of energy that can be transferred per unit charge.

2. How is potential difference or voltage represented on a graph?

Potential difference or voltage is typically represented on a graph by plotting the voltage on the vertical y-axis and the corresponding current on the horizontal x-axis. This allows for a visual representation of the relationship between voltage and current in a circuit.

3. What does a straight line on a potential difference/voltage graph indicate?

A straight line on a potential difference/voltage graph indicates a linear relationship between voltage and current. This means that as voltage increases, current also increases in a constant and proportional manner.

4. How can I calculate potential difference or voltage from a graph?

To calculate potential difference or voltage from a graph, you can use the slope of the line. The slope is equal to the change in voltage divided by the change in current. This can be represented as V = IR, where V is the potential difference, I is the current, and R is the resistance of the circuit.

5. What factors can affect the potential difference or voltage in a circuit?

The potential difference or voltage in a circuit can be affected by factors such as the type and number of components in the circuit, the length and thickness of wires, and the presence of any resistors or other elements that can impede the flow of current.