Poll: Greatest physicist of the 20th century?

• Thread starter covert_genius
  • Start date

greatest current physicist?

• Michio Kaku (discovery channel)

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Adam Savage (myth busters)

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Stephen Hawkings (discovery channel)

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • Jamie Hyndeman (myth busters)

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
jhae2.718
Gold Member
No that's wrong. I saw one who said pi is 4. :wink:
u shud no that pi is 3.125 i like read it on this web and this guy prooved it wif math

:biggrin:

Listen up, I haven't done math in like 25 years, but I think I have shown that pi is exactly 22/7. I just hope that the mathematics work out!!

jhae2.718
Gold Member
Hey everyone, I've got this theory that unifies GR and QM worked out pretty well, here's my paper. I just need someone to fill in the math.

<link to poorly formatted 3 page Word document>

jhae2.718
Gold Member
All seriousness in this thread died the moment it was moved to GD...

FtlIsAwesome
Gold Member
*hyperventilating maniacal laugh*

NOTICE: In approximately 1 minute the web protection on my computer will lock me out of the Internet. :grumpy:

jhae2.718
Gold Member
NOTICE: In approximately 1 minute the web protection on my computer will lock me out of the Internet. :grumpy:
:confused:

I would have thought all seriousness in the thread died when we were given the original selections.

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
the argument came up in class today, people were saying the typical newton and einstein etc but i feel the aren't really that relevant anymore. so in your opinion, who is the greatest scientist of this century? in terms of both scientific findings, educating the masses of certain theories, and current relevance in the field of research.
I haven't seen a question and a poll so out of touch with reality than this one. You seem to be confusing "greatest" with "popular media figure". And the list that you present for voting is awfully shallow, and only filled with figures that an ignorant news reporter would come up with on a whim.

It was why this belongs more in the General Discussion forum than the General Physics forum, where it was first posted.

Zz.

jhae2.718
Gold Member
I would have thought all seriousness in the thread died when we were given the original selections.
What I meant was, in General Physics (or other "real" forums) most people try to keep an a air og seriousness/professionalism, but move it to GD and there's no longer that need.

SamirS
That fish-slap smilie made me think. You know that strange effect when you look at a clock and the first tick seems to take sooo much more time then the other ones? Like it's delayed? Same effect with that smilie for me.

Is there a name for it?

FtlIsAwesome
Gold Member
:confused:
Heheh... I was rapid-typing when I posted that. Now reading it it does sound kind of odd.
There's this thing set up (not by me) on my computer that I can't access the Internet late at night.
What I meant was, in General Physics (or other "real" forums) most people try to keep an a air og seriousness/professionalism, but move it to GD and there's no longer that need.
Well, GD stands for... wait for it...

*dramatic music*
da-da-da-da-da-da-da!

Goof Department!!!

jhae2.718
Gold Member
Heheh... I was rapid-typing when I posted that. Now reading it it does sound kind of odd.
There's this thing set up (not by me) on my computer that I can't access the Internet late at night.
It should be trivial to avoid. Just boot up on a Linux live CD. (If it's done at the router level, it may be a bit more tricky to bypass, but all the same it should be trivial...)

Not that I would be advising anyone how to avoid such things...:uhh:

gnossienne
Stephen Hawking has a nice story going for him, but I don't take him to seriously. Richard Feynman in my opinion