Polynomial intersection question

In summary: Can you list a specific function (with numbers instead of c and a) that belongs to V1? Can you list a specific function (with numbers instead of d and b) that belongs to V2?
transgalactic
V1={cx^3+ax^2|c,a exists in R}
V2={dx^3-bx^2 -d|d,b exists in R}
find all the values of a,b that [tex]f(x)\epsilon V1\cap V2[/tex]
??

find all the values of a,b that [tex]f(x)\epsilon V1+ V2[/tex]
??
i know how to solve such question using vectors
but
they are not using using vector but some hoe check the coefficients

??l

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you list a specific function (with numbers instead of c and a) that belongs to V1? Can you list a specific function (with numbers instead of d and b) that belongs to V2?

What does it take for a function to belong to both V1 and V2; i.e., to [itex]V1 \cap V2[/itex]?

V1 and V2 are subspaces of [tex]R_4[x][/tex]
polynomial field over R of power smaller then 4

f(x)=ax^3 +bx^2 +ax -b which belongs to [tex]R_4[x][/tex]

that all i am given
no numbes

I know what you're given. Can you use the information that you are given, and give me a specific function (with numbers instead of c and a) that belongs to V1? Can you list a specific function (with numbers instead of d and b) that belongs to V2?

What does it take for a function to belong to both V1 and V2; i.e., to [itex]V1 \cap V2[/itex]
?

transgalactic said:
V1={cx^3+ax^2|c,a exists in R}
V2={dx^3-bx^2 -d|d,b exists in R}
find all the values of a,b that [tex]f(x)\epsilon V1\cap V2[/tex]
??

find all the values of a,b that [tex]f(x)\epsilon V1+ V2[/tex]
??
Was that exactly what the problem says? It looks to me like you will need a specific choice for d and c rather than a, b. For example if c= d= 0, then your functions reduce to ax^2 and -bx^2.

i know how to solve such question using vectors
but
they are not using using vector but some hoe check the coefficients

??l

1. What is a polynomial intersection question?

A polynomial intersection question is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the points of intersection between two or more polynomial functions. These functions can be plotted on a graph, and the points of intersection represent the values where the functions intersect each other.

2. How do you solve a polynomial intersection question?

To solve a polynomial intersection question, you can use algebraic methods such as substitution or elimination to find the points of intersection. Another approach is to graph the functions and visually identify the points of intersection.

3. Are there any special cases in polynomial intersection questions?

Yes, there are some special cases in polynomial intersection questions. One example is when the two functions are identical, in which case there are an infinite number of points of intersection. Another case is when the functions do not intersect at all.

4. Can a polynomial intersection question have more than two functions?

Yes, a polynomial intersection question can involve any number of polynomial functions. The more functions there are, the more points of intersection there may be.

5. What applications do polynomial intersection questions have in science?

Polynomial intersection questions have various applications in science, including in physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model and analyze real-world situations, such as the intersection of two moving objects or the equilibrium point in a supply and demand graph.