1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangent vector on the intersection of surfaces

1. Mar 1, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The surfaces ##x^2+y^2 = 2## and ##y=z## intersect in a curve ##C##. Find a unit tangent vector to the curve ##C## at the point ##(1,1,1)##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I'm thinking that we can parametrize the surfaces to get a vector for the curve ##C##.

Let ##z=t##. Then ##y=t##. Then ##x = \sqrt{2-t^2}##. So we have a vector for the curve ##C##, ##\vec{r} (t) = \langle \sqrt{2-t^2}, t,t \rangle##. Then ##\vec{r}' (t) = \langle \frac{-t}{\sqrt{2-t^2}}, 1,1 \rangle##, and ##\vec{r}' (1) = \langle -1, 1,1 \rangle##. Then re-scaling to get a unit vector, we get ##\langle \frac{-1}{\sqrt{3}}, \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}},\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} \rangle##. Is this the correct answer?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2017 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't see anything wrong with your work.

It might be helpful to sketch a graph of the curve C. Since it is formed by the intersection of a right circular cylinder whose central axis is along the z-axis, with the plane y = z, the curve of intersection is an ellipse.

4. Mar 2, 2017 #3
    Also, one thing. What's the difference between letting ##x = -\sqrt{2-t^2}## and letting ##x = \sqrt{2-t^2}##?

5. Mar 2, 2017 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You'll get one side or another of the ellipse I mentioned, which is symmetric across the y-z plane. With the positive root, you get points in the first octant (really, on the "front" side of the y-z plane; if z < 0, the curve isn't in the first octant any more). With the negative root, you get points on that back side of the y-z plane.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted