Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Polynomials in n indeterminates and UFDs

1. Jun 11, 2016 #1
    In the introduction to Chapter 1 of his book "Introduction to Plane Algebraic Curves", Ernst Kunz states that the polynomial ring ##K[ X_1, X_2, \ ... \ ... \ , X_n]## over a field ##K## is a unique factorization domain ... ... but he does not prove this fact ...

Can someone demonstrate a proof of this proposition ... or point me to a text or online notes that contain a proof ...

Help will be appreciated ... ...

Peter

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

You can show it for one variable and proceed by induction, because ##K[X_1,X_2, \dots , X_n] = K[X_1,X_2, \dots , X_{n-1}][X_n].##
    For ##K[X]## you know that you can apply the Euclidean algorithm (division) to find all irreducible factors of a polynomial.

4. Jun 11, 2016 #3
    Hmm ... yes, get the general idea ... but not quite sure how the induction is set up and how exactly it proceeds ... Thinking ...

Thanks for the help ...

Peter

5. Jun 12, 2016 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

The induction step is: If a ring ##R## is UFD, so is ##R[X]##.
    (See http://math.harvard.edu/~waffle/ufds2.pdf [Broken]) This brief article also contains a pretty good overview on some frequent classes of rings. I think you should read it to gain a feeling for the concepts and a pool of examples (14 pages).

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  6. Jun 12, 2016 #5
    Thanks fresh_42 ... ... most helpful ... appreciate the help ...

Peter

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  7. Jun 13, 2016 #6

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted