Poor performance in gen-ed courses?

In summary, an F in a gen ed course may harm your graduate school admission chances, depending on the specific school and other factors.
Tickitata
How do low grades (say, Cs or lower) in general education courses affect graduate school admissions?

In my case, I'm a pure mathematics major who is failing honors microeconomics. I just absolutely loathe the subject. How is this going to affect my future? Will they care, or just look at my math/science courses?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on the graduate school and how well you do otherwise.

One C, D, or F in a gen ed course probably won't hurt you more than the downward pull on your overall GPA. More than one and you're looking like a slacker.

As Courtney said,

It depends on how many courses fall into this category. if microeconomics the only one? If so, I doubt it'll hurt you that much, but if you have more than one your going to look like your not trying your hardest.

If this is the only gen ed your failing then, it probably won't keep you out of every grad school, but it's not going to help you get into the top schools.

I don't really understand why people ask "Will an F in XXX hurt my chances?" Do you think your transcript would look better if the F were an A? Then you have your answer.

The only question is "how much will it hurt", and the only way to tell that is to know how close to the line you are. After all, it only makes a difference if it moves you from one side of the line to the other. The only way to know that is if we had your application and all the other applications. Since that's not going to happen, I don't see how we can quantify this.

That said, there are two red flags that this raises, and I think both are potentially more dangerous than an F. One is that it's an honors class that you're failing. The admissions committee will surely wonder why you didn't just transfer into the regular section. Not taking steps to rectify an academic problem looks bad. The other is your reason for doing poorly - if you do poorly when you don't find the material sufficiently enjoyable, I can tell you right now that grad school is not the place for you. There will be many times when you have to learn something that's Dull But Important. Learn it well. If you can't or won't do this, you will not succeed. Admissions committees do not want to admit people who they think won't succeed.

1. Why am I struggling in my general education courses?

There can be a variety of reasons for poor performance in gen-ed courses. It could be due to a lack of interest or motivation, difficulty understanding the material, or poor study habits. It's important to identify the specific root cause in order to address the issue effectively.

2. Does poor performance in gen-ed courses affect my overall academic success?

Yes, gen-ed courses are an important part of your overall academic performance. These courses provide a foundation for more advanced coursework and can impact your GPA. It's important to take them seriously and strive for success in all your courses.

3. How can I improve my performance in gen-ed courses?

There are several strategies that can help improve your performance in gen-ed courses. These include actively participating in class, seeking help from professors or tutors, creating a study schedule, and staying organized. It's also important to stay motivated and engaged in the material.

4. Should I drop a gen-ed course if I'm struggling?

It's important to assess the situation before making a decision to drop a course. If you are struggling due to a lack of interest or motivation, dropping the course may not be the best solution. However, if you are truly struggling with the material and have exhausted all other options, dropping the course may be necessary.

5. Will poor performance in gen-ed courses affect my future career?

While it's important to strive for success in all your courses, poor performance in gen-ed courses alone is unlikely to have a significant impact on your future career. However, if these courses are directly related to your field of study, it's important to understand the material and strive for a strong foundation. Additionally, employers may look at your overall academic performance, so it's important to maintain a good GPA.