1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Population Modeling using DE's

1. Oct 28, 2006 #1
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone out here on a Friday night could help me understand population modeling. Here is what I have as a problem (this is pretty simple because my goal here is to understand the thinking behind the madness :rolleyes: )

-
    The population of a certain community is known to increase at a rate proportional to the number of people present at any time. If the population has doubled in 5 years, how long will it take to triple, to quadruple?
    -

So I understand that the rate = dy/dt and proportional translates to "something" = "some constant" times "something", or (dy/dt)=Ky, or in this case, dP/dt = kP.

Solving this DE I get the equation P(t)= P(initial)e^(kt). So all I am told is that the population doubles in 5 years. So what can I do? I can't assume an arbitrary number as the initial population can I? So I have one equation with three unknowns, P(initial), P(t), and k.

Any insight would be great. Thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2006 #2
    you know that [tex] \frac{dP}{dt} = kP [/tex]. The solution is:

[tex] P(t) = P_{0}e^{kt} [/tex]

You also know that [tex] 2P_{0}= P_{0}e^{5k} [/tex]. What can you do from here? Solve for k:

[tex] e^{5k} = 2 [/tex]

[tex] k = \frac{\ln 2}{5} [/tex].

Then solve the equations for t:

[tex] 3P_{0} = P_{0}e^{(\frac{\ln 2}{5})t} [/tex]
    [tex] 4P_{0} = P_{0}e^{(\frac{\ln 2}{5})t} [/tex]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2006
  4. Oct 28, 2006 #3
    Oh man... So here the [tex] P_{0} [/tex]'s will cancel and all I have to do is take the natural logs of both sides to get t? man... I think I was making it a lot harder than it really was. Thank you for taking the time to show me this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?