Porsche challenges a Honda acceleration

• Thread starter Zhalfirin88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acceleration
In summary, two cars, a Porsche and a Honda, are racing 400 meters. The Porsche has a higher acceleration of 3.5m/s2 compared to the Honda's 3.0m/s2. However, the Honda gets a 50-meter head start. Using kinematic equations, it is determined that the Porsche wins the race.
Zhalfirin88

Homework Statement

A Porsche challenges a Honda to a 400-m race. Because the Porsche's acceleration of 3.5m/s2 is larger than the Honda's 3.0m/s2, the Honda gets a 50-m head start. Both cars start accelerating at the same instant. Who wins?

The Attempt at a Solution

The only thing I'm not sure about is how to get the velocity from a given acceleration. How do you figure it out mathematically?

Edit: So basically I set up both things as a function of time, and I integrated.

Porsche: a(t) = 3.5t
Porsche: v(t) = (3.5/2)t^2
Porsche: s(t) = (3.5/6)t^3

Honda: a(t) = 3t
Honda: v(t) = (3/2)t^2
Honda: s(t) = (1/2)t^3 + 50

Using these formulas, I calculated that the Porsche wins! Does it look correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Zhalfirin88 said:
Edit: So basically I set up both things as a function of time, and I integrated.

Porsche: a(t) = 3.5t

Porsche: v(t) = (3.5/2)t^2
Porsche: s(t) = (3.5/6)t^3

Honda: a(t) = 3t
Honda: v(t) = (3/2)t^2
Honda: s(t) = (1/2)t^3 + 50

your expressions for a(t) are wrong, they are constant and don't depend on time. So just redo the integration and find the time when the distance is 400m.

Okay thanks, the Porsche still won ^_^. But anyways, is that how you'd normally solve it? I'm pretty sure there are other ways but that just seemed like the easiest and first thing that I thought of.

Zhalfirin88 said:
Okay thanks, the Porsche still won ^_^. But anyways, is that how you'd normally solve it? I'm pretty sure there are other ways but that just seemed like the easiest and first thing that I thought of.

yes that is how you'd do it. Though instead of integrating you could have just used the direct result from the kinematic equation: s=1/2at2

1. What makes Porsche challenges a Honda acceleration?

Porsche and Honda are both well-known car manufacturers, and their vehicles have different engines and technologies that affect acceleration. Porsche cars are typically designed with high-performance engines and advanced technologies, while Honda cars are more focused on efficiency and reliability.

2. Which car has better acceleration, Porsche or Honda?

It ultimately depends on the specific models being compared. However, in general, Porsche cars tend to have better acceleration due to their more powerful engines and lighter weight. Honda cars may have more efficient acceleration due to their focus on fuel efficiency and practicality.

3. How do Porsche and Honda measure acceleration?

Acceleration is typically measured in 0-60 mph or 0-100 kmh times. This means the time it takes for the car to reach 60 miles per hour or 100 kilometers per hour from a standstill. Both Porsche and Honda use this standard measurement to compare the acceleration of their vehicles.

4. Can Honda cars keep up with Porsche's acceleration?

It depends on the specific models being compared. Some high-performance Honda models, such as the Civic Type R, may have similar acceleration to certain Porsche models. However, in general, Porsche cars are known for their superior acceleration compared to Honda cars.

5. Are there any other factors besides acceleration that make Porsche and Honda different?

Yes, there are many other factors that differentiate Porsche and Honda cars. Some of these include design, technology, handling, and overall performance. Porsche cars are typically known for their luxury and high-performance features, while Honda cars are known for their practicality and reliability.