Pos. et neg. particle in circ. motion

In summary, the difference in scale of the electric and magnetic attraction is related to the speed of the particles.
henxan

Homework Statement

You have two particles, both mass m.
One particle negative (-q) and other (+q).
Thay are going in a circular motion, velocity v or angular velocity (omega).
What is the difference in scale of the electric and magnetic attraction?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is the Homework forum. Why don't you tell us your thoughts first?

Well, straightforward you've got the square decreasing electric field. But, concerning the magnetic field:
This is actually a parallel problem to a two wire problem. Two wires separated with a distance D, carrying a current in the same direction. This is, because, if you take a snapshot of the system, it is two particles, traveling in opposite direction, with opposite charge.

Using vector potential you would also get a B which decreases with the square of r. So, my conclusion is, the order of magnitude of difference would be related to myu_0 and epsilon_0

Is this correct? Or have I messed around and gotten a factor difference somewhere? :/

> So, my conclusion is, the order of magnitude of difference would be related to myu_0 and epsilon_0

Very good. But the magnetic force will also depend on the speeds of the particles. For low speeds, the magnetic force is very low compared to the electric force. You can get a rough idea by treating the moving charges as tiny currents and using Biot-Savart’s law. The speeds will then come in via the current.

Shooting star said:
> So, my conclusion is, the order of magnitude of difference would be related to myu_0 and epsilon_0

Very good. But the magnetic force will also depend on the speeds of the particles. For low speeds, the magnetic force is very low compared to the electric force. You can get a rough idea by treating the moving charges as tiny currents and using Biot-Savart’s law. The speeds will then come in via the current.

LOL.. I actually forget to mention that that the speed of the particle also mattered. So it is correct to say that epsilon_0 vs speed*myu_0?.. Thanks for the reply.. I have to admit this question came as a result to the fact that i didnt bother to actually calculate the forces.. Ill set ut the equations and figure this out later.. And it ought to be straight forward unless one steps into the relative roam v>10% of lightspeed :)..

Post your calculations. It'll involve [itex]v^2[/itex]. Don't go relative for now.

LOL.. I wont.. Ill do it tomorrow or sunday.. I think ill set the mass as unknown, and calculate the two forces first.. Thanks..

1. What is a positive and negative particle in circular motion?

A positive and negative particle in circular motion refers to two particles with opposite charges that are moving in a circular path due to the influence of a magnetic field.

2. How do positive and negative particles behave in circular motion?

In a circular motion, positive particles will move in a clockwise direction while negative particles will move in a counterclockwise direction. This is due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the charge of the particles.

3. What is the role of a magnetic field in circular motion of particles?

The magnetic field is responsible for exerting a force on the charged particles, causing them to move in a circular path. The strength and direction of the magnetic field determine the radius and direction of the circular motion.

4. Can positive and negative particles have the same velocity in circular motion?

No, positive and negative particles cannot have the same velocity in circular motion. This is because the force exerted by the magnetic field on the particles is dependent on their charge, and the velocity of the particles affects the strength of the magnetic force.

5. How is the radius of circular motion affected by the charge of the particles?

The radius of circular motion is directly proportional to the charge of the particles. This means that particles with a higher charge will have a larger radius of circular motion, while particles with a lower charge will have a smaller radius.