Position and acceleration vector - parallel and perpendicular

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of values of t for which the position vector and acceleration vector are either perpendicular or parallel for a given position vector. The proposed method involves differentiating the position vector twice and using the cross product for parallel vectors and the dot product for perpendicular vectors to find the value of t. However, there is doubt about the correctness of the given position vector as it does not seem possible for the vectors to be perpendicular or parallel for a real value of t.
logearav
Position and acceleration vector -- parallel and perpendicular

Homework Statement

The motion of a particle is defined by the position vector
r = A(Cos t + t Sin t) i + A(Sin t + t Cos t) j where t is expressed in seconds. Determine the values of t for which the position vector and acceleration vector are
a) perpendicular
b) parallel

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For acceleration i have differentiate r twice and arrive at the equation. So, i should go for cross product to find 't' when they are parallel and dot product when they are perpendicular.
Am I right in my procedure, revered members?

Physics news on Phys.org

logearav said:

Homework Statement

The motion of a particle is defined by the position vector
r = A(Cos t + t Sin t) i + A(Sin t + t Cos t) j where t is expressed in seconds. Determine the values of t for which the position vector and acceleration vector are
a) perpendicular
b) parallel

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For acceleration i have differentiate r twice and arrive at the equation. So, i should go for cross product to find 't' when they are parallel and dot product when they are perpendicular.
Am I right in my procedure, revered members?

Your proposed method looks fine, but is the given position vector correct? It doesn't appear to me that the position and acceleration vector will ever be perpendicular or parallel for a real value of t.

Thanks gneill. But this is how the question appears in University Exam paper.

1. What is a position vector?

A position vector is a mathematical representation of the location of a point in a coordinate system. It is typically represented as an arrow starting from the origin of the coordinate system and pointing towards the location of the point.

2. How is a position vector related to an acceleration vector?

A position vector and an acceleration vector are both vectors that represent physical quantities. However, a position vector represents the location of a point, while an acceleration vector represents the rate of change of an object's velocity over time.

3. Can a position vector and an acceleration vector be parallel?

Yes, it is possible for a position vector and an acceleration vector to be parallel. This means that the direction of the object's position and its acceleration are the same, but their magnitudes may be different.

4. What does it mean for a position and acceleration vector to be perpendicular?

If a position vector and an acceleration vector are perpendicular, it means that they form a 90-degree angle with each other. This indicates that the object's position is changing in a direction perpendicular to its acceleration.

5. How can I calculate the perpendicular components of a position and acceleration vector?

To calculate the perpendicular components of a position and acceleration vector, you can use the dot product formula: A⋅B = |A||B|cosθ. First, find the magnitude of the vectors, then find the angle between them. Finally, plug these values into the formula to find the perpendicular components.