Position and Displacement Vectors- The Watermelon Seed Vector

In summary, the watermelon seed's position vector is (7.0m, 161.6 degrees) relative to the positive direction of the x axis. Its displacement is (14.8m, 171.5 degrees) relative to the positive direction of the x axis. This was found by using the equation Δx=X2-X1 and drawing a sketch to visualize the vector's orientation.
Pmand92
A watermelon seed has the following coordinates: x = -6.6 m, y = 2.2 m, and z = 0 m. Find its position vector as (a) a magnitude and (b) an angle relative to the positive direction of the x axis. If the seed is moved to the xyz coordinates (8.2 m, 0 m, 0 m), what is its displacement as (c) a magnitude and (d) an angle relative to the positive direction of the x axis?

A) Magnitude was found using (-6.6)^2+(2.2)^2=sqrt(48.4)=6.96m or 7.0m

B) The angle was found using inverse tangent of (2.2/6.6)=18.4 degrees. I subtracted 18.4 from 180 to get 161.6.

C) The magnitude was found using the displacement equation (Δx=X2-X1). 8.2m-(-6.6m)=14.8m

Up until part D, all of the answers are correct in WileyPlus. I have tried multiple ways trying to find this angle however, no success. Perhaps I am looking past the basic point. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
For (c), there is a change in y position too.

I know, it's -2.2m. I forgot to mention it.

Hi, Pmand92. Can you show us the details of what you did for part (d)? What did you get for an answer?

Well I tried using the magnitude (14.8 squared) minus 2.2 squared to find a component so I could try the inverse tangent to find the angle. tan^-1(2.2/14.8)=8.5 degrees and then I subtract that from 180, which 171.5. Then at this point, I tried to put it into WileyPlus, which was wrong. So I tried inverse sin with just 2.2/14.8, which didn't work. At this point, I have switched out numbers just trying to see if I could get an answer for the WileyPlus to take the answer.

To be honest, I can't remember all of the ways to find the angle.

The displacement is a vector pointing from the initial position to the final position. Draw a sketch to see how that vector is oriented relative to the positive x direction.

I am having a hard time visualizing that.

Draw an x-y cartesian coordinate system and locate the initial and final locations (positions) of the seed. The displacement will be a vector pointing from the initial location to the final location. You don't need to worry about the z-coordinate since it's 0 for both the intial and final postitions.

1. What is a position vector?

A position vector is a mathematical representation of the location of a point in a coordinate system. It is typically denoted by the symbol r and is defined by its magnitude and direction from a fixed reference point.

2. How do you calculate the displacement vector?

The displacement vector is calculated by subtracting the initial position vector from the final position vector. This gives the change in position from the starting point to the endpoint.

3. What is the difference between position and displacement vectors?

Position vectors represent the location of a point in a coordinate system, while displacement vectors represent the change in position from one point to another. Position vectors have a starting point at the origin, while displacement vectors have an initial and final point.

4. How do you determine the magnitude and direction of a displacement vector?

The magnitude of a displacement vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the horizontal and vertical components. The direction can be found using trigonometric functions such as tangent or inverse cosine.

5. How are displacement vectors used in real-world applications?

Displacement vectors are commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the motion of objects. For example, in projectile motion, the displacement vector can be used to determine the distance and direction an object travels from its initial position. Displacement vectors are also used in navigation systems and mapping to calculate distances and directions between two points.