1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Position and Displacement Vectors- The Watermelon Seed Vector

1. Aug 23, 2012 #1
    A watermelon seed has the following coordinates: x = -6.6 m, y = 2.2 m, and z = 0 m. Find its position vector as (a) a magnitude and (b) an angle relative to the positive direction of the x axis. If the seed is moved to the xyz coordinates (8.2 m, 0 m, 0 m), what is its displacement as (c) a magnitude and (d) an angle relative to the positive direction of the x axis?

A) Magnitude was found using (-6.6)^2+(2.2)^2=sqrt(48.4)=6.96m or 7.0m

B) The angle was found using inverse tangent of (2.2/6.6)=18.4 degrees. I subtracted 18.4 from 180 to get 161.6.

C) The magnitude was found using the displacement equation (Δx=X2-X1). 8.2m-(-6.6m)=14.8m

Up until part D, all of the answers are correct in WileyPlus. I have tried multiple ways trying to find this angle however, no success. Perhaps I am looking past the basic point. Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2012 #2
    For (c), there is a change in y position too.

4. Aug 23, 2012 #3
    I know, it's -2.2m. I forgot to mention it.

5. Aug 23, 2012 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi, Pmand92. Can you show us the details of what you did for part (d)? What did you get for an answer?

6. Aug 23, 2012 #5
    Well I tried using the magnitude (14.8 squared) minus 2.2 squared to find a component so I could try the inverse tangent to find the angle. tan^-1(2.2/14.8)=8.5 degrees and then I subtract that from 180, which 171.5. Then at this point, I tried to put it into WileyPlus, which was wrong. So I tried inverse sin with just 2.2/14.8, which didn't work. At this point, I have switched out numbers just trying to see if I could get an answer for the WileyPlus to take the answer.

7. Aug 23, 2012 #6
    To be honest, I can't remember all of the ways to find the angle.

8. Aug 23, 2012 #7

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The displacement is a vector pointing from the initial position to the final position. Draw a sketch to see how that vector is oriented relative to the positive x direction.

9. Aug 23, 2012 #8
    I am having a hard time visualizing that.

10. Aug 23, 2012 #9

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Draw an x-y cartesian coordinate system and locate the initial and final locations (positions) of the seed. The displacement will be a vector pointing from the initial location to the final location. You don't need to worry about the z-coordinate since it's 0 for both the intial and final postitions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook