1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Position of a particle given an equation for acceleration

1. Sep 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The acceleration of a particle is given by a(t)= - 2.1 m/s2 + (3.1 m/s3)t

Find the initial velocity v0 such that the particle will have the same x-coordinate at time t=3.96 as it had at t=0.

What x-coordinate will the particle have at time t=3.96

2. Relevant equations
    I'm assuming integration plays a factor in this, but I'm just not sure how to make the particle have the same position at t=3.96 and t=0

3. The attempt at a solution

Integral of 2.1+3.1t= 2.1t+3.1/2t^2+c
    integrating again should give us:
    1.05t^2+(3.1/6)t^3 +ct +k
    I dont know where to go from there
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2011 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are confused because you are throwing out equations without regard for what they represent. In the first equation you wrote, the constant of integration c should be equal to v0, the initial velocity. Similarly, in your second equation, k will be equal to s0, the initial displacement.

If you rewrite your equations in the form v(t) = something and s(t) = something else, the re-read the problem statement and see if you can solve for v0.

4. Sep 5, 2011 #3
    you find out the position of the particle at t=0 which you must do by integrating your equation twice in which v0t will be part of the x(t) equation. Since you know at t=0 that there must be some initial x, then well do you get the idea?

5. Sep 5, 2011 #4
    from what you wrote out, youre c would be v0 and k is your initial position which you can assume is zero at t=0.

6. Sep 5, 2011 #5
    so if at t=0 k=0 and x(t)=0 then you could say that x(t)=0 when t=3.69 seconds plus those factors in and you should get v0

7. Sep 5, 2011 #6
    You've almost there. However, I think you should use different letters for the constant to see it through (sometimes, with different letters it's easier to see the solution).

I'm just doing your passages in a more rigorous way so that you can see properly the physical interpretation of the integration (usually in physics we tend to do indefinite integrations, but it has hardly a physical meaning: the proper integration is the definite one) :
    [itex]a(t)=\alpha+\beta t[/itex], where alpha=-2.1 and beta=3.1 so,
    [itex]a(t)=\frac{dv(t)}{dt}\Rightarrow\int_{v_0}^{v(t)} dv=\int_{t_0}^{t} a(t)dt\Rightarrow v(t)-v_0=-\alpha t+\frac{\beta}{2}t^2\Rightarrow v(t)=v_0-\alpha t+\frac{\beta}{2}t^2[/itex]
    [itex]v(t)=\frac{dx(t)}{dt}\Rightarrow x(t)=x_0+v_0 t-\frac{\alpha}{2} t^2+\frac{\beta}{6}t^3[/itex] just like you did.

Now, you have only to pose that the particle has the same position in t=0 and t=3.96, that is [tex]x(0)=x(3.96)[/tex], as requested from the problem :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook