Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Positive derivative and strictly increasing

1. Aug 30, 2010 #1
    Isn't it true that if a function [itex]f(t)[/itex] satisfies [itex]f'(t) > 0[/itex] on some interval, then [itex]f[/itex] is STRICTLY increasing on that interval; i.e., that [itex]s < t[/itex] implies that [itex]f(s) < f(t)[/itex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2010 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can prove this using the mean value theorem, by assuming there are points s and t with [tex]s<t[/tex] and [tex]f(s)\geq f(t)[/tex] and developing a contradiction

4. Aug 30, 2010 #3
    Yes.
    In fact:
    if x2>x1 implies that
    f(x2)>f(x1)

the derivative is:
    [f(x2)-f(x1)]/(x2-x1)
    (as x2 approach x1)

The numerator is positive and also the denominator (by hypothesis ) implies that:
    f'(x)>0

5. Aug 30, 2010 #4
    Thanks, guys. I was pretty sure this was a MVT exercise, but I was so tired last night I couldn't force myself to get out of bed and look for paper and pencil to run through it :) I'm amazed I was actually able to phrase the question correctly.

6. Jan 16, 2011 #5
    Related to the topic at hand, if, on the other hand, f'(a) > 0, is there necessarily an interval of positive length that is centered at c, on which f is strictly increasing? I've though about this for a while now, and it seems to me the answer is no, but I just can't come up with a counterexample. I can imagine an ever oscillating function that never reaches f(a) when x > a, but since it constantly oscillates, you also can't pinpoint the endpoint of an interval, on which f would be strictly increasing.

Any thoughts on this, is this a good counterexample? And does anyone perhaps have a specific function in mind, one that isn't just vaguely described such as above in my previous paragraph?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook