Possibilities after being a full time NTT lecturer for a few years

• Other
  • Thread starter adsorbiter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time Years
In summary, the speaker has been working as a full-time physics lecturer for three years, but is unsure if their personality is a good fit for teaching. They have no innate desire to help people learn and do not care about pedagogy. They plan to continue applying for teaching positions in the future, but are also considering other options such as technical writing or becoming a baker. Their ultimate goal is to be left alone by society and they are considering living in a remote area and doing prepper activities.
adsorbiter
Hi,
I've been a full time physics lecturer for three years after the coming spring '21 semester. I got this job at the same university where I graduated with my PhD because (apparently) they liked my TA evaluations from students. Between graduating and becoming a lecturer I spent over a year applying to various academic/non-academic research positions with not much luck.

So I've been doing this for three years. It's not completely terrible; talking about and demonstrating physics can be fun and challenging in a good way. I even enjoy preparing notes/lectures/assignments. However, I'm on the fence about whether or not my personality is a good fit for a teacher because...well, I don't really have much innate desire to help people learn. I pretend like I do because that's what I'm being paid to do so when students show up to office hours or ask questions in class I simply plaster on a welcoming and encouraging demeanor like a damned sociopath. I also don't care about pedagogy; I studied physics in school not psychology. If they want somebody to devise intricate schemes to trick students into learning then I'm not the person for the job. If students aren't showing up with their own motivation then I feel like there's nothing I can do. I just don't have the kind of enthusiastic personality that draws in attention and makes people be interested in the subject.

Anyway, you can see why I'm conflicted. I don't hate teaching, I'm just not sure If I'm the person who should really be standing in front of the class. Having said that, I will probably continue to apply to teaching positions in the future because I guess that's the experience I have now. I haven't done any research since I graduated and the topic of my dissertation appears fairly bland and uninteresting to me now. I don't have much interest in programming as a job although I do have some very minimal experience with Python and LabView. Data science is not interesting to me.

I suppose I'm in a brainstorming stage concerning what to do next. My girlfriend and I are both in our thirties and don't plan on having kids so that is not a concern right now (i.e. I don't really care how much money I make). We do want to get out of the current area, so I will probably quit my current job and will be moving this summer with or without another another job lined up (I have money saved up to help with that).

I guess I'll finish with a more direction question: Are there any careers/jobs/professions outside of academia that value the skills of former university lecturers?

Thanks for reading

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not really clear what your goal is. It is hard to recommend a next step without a destination in mind

Dale said:
I am not really clear what your goal is. It is hard to recommend a next step without a destination in mind

My ultimate goal is to be left alone by society, but that probably won't happen except maybe to an approximation. I'd settle for a job that allows me to compile ideas into a presentation of some sort. Maybe being a technical writer could work for me. I enjoyed writing my dissertation probably as much (or more) than working in the lab itself.

I could see myself being a baker: waking up early, baking bread and bread accessories, and then going home without having to deal with customers. Baking isn't that much different than working in a physics lab.

I sort of feel like being a lecturer gets me halfway to an ideal job. Maybe that's as good as I can hope for.

Well, if you can do your lectures remote then with something like starlink you should be able to do remote lectures for paying the bills and then live in some isolated place and spend the rest of your time doing prepper type things. I have 5.5 acres and I am raising almost all of my protein (chickens, ducks, and goats). I don't do it to be left alone, but it would be relatively easy to "go all in" with something like that.

adsorbiter said:
My ultimate goal is to be left alone by society, but that probably won't happen except maybe to an approximation. I'd settle for a job that allows me to compile ideas into a presentation of some sort. Maybe being a technical writer could work for me. I enjoyed writing my dissertation probably as much (or more) than working in the lab itself.

I could see myself being a baker: waking up early, baking bread and bread accessories, and then going home without having to deal with customers. Baking isn't that much different than working in a physics lab.

I sort of feel like being a lecturer gets me halfway to an ideal job. Maybe that's as good as I can hope for.
Well if you have a girlfriend you aren't really "left alone" now are you?
:cool:

MathematicalPhysicist said:
Well if you have a girlfriend you aren't really "left alone" now are you?
:cool:

Damn, you're right. They got me!

adsorbiter said:
I guess I'll finish with a more direction question: Are there any careers/jobs/professions outside of academia that value the skills of former university lecturers?

As long as you don't care whether they're physics related, there are careers out there that will find your background valuable. However, note that they can't just value your skills & background - they have to value them more than all the other candidates. So there are options, but they aren't necessarily easy ones.

After my masters degree I moved on to actuarial work, and then to advanced analytics. Former teachers are not rare in either area (though not exactly common). Both fields offer a chance to reduce (but not eliminate) human interaction at the individual contributor level, though that completely goes away in management. If you're curious what entry into these areas might look like, let me know.

I'm sure there are many other careers others can suggest. Best wishes in your journey.

Likes Dale

1. What career options are available after being a full-time NTT lecturer for a few years?

After being a full-time NTT lecturer for a few years, there are various career options you can explore. You can continue teaching as a full-time or part-time faculty member at a different institution, pursue a tenure-track position, or transition into a non-teaching role in academia such as academic advising or curriculum development. Alternatively, you can also explore opportunities in industry or government sectors related to your field of expertise.

2. Can I apply for tenure-track positions after being a full-time NTT lecturer?

Yes, you can apply for tenure-track positions after being a full-time NTT lecturer. However, it is important to note that the requirements and qualifications for tenure-track positions may differ from NTT positions. It is important to research and understand the specific requirements for the positions you are interested in and tailor your application accordingly.

3. What skills and experience can I gain as a full-time NTT lecturer?

As a full-time NTT lecturer, you can gain valuable skills and experience in teaching, curriculum development, and student engagement. You may also have the opportunity to conduct research and publish scholarly work, which can enhance your resume and make you a competitive candidate for future positions. Additionally, you can develop strong communication, time management, and leadership skills through your interactions with students, colleagues, and other faculty members.

4. Is it possible to transition into a different field after being a full-time NTT lecturer?

Yes, it is possible to transition into a different field after being a full-time NTT lecturer. Your experience and skills as a lecturer, such as communication and critical thinking, can be transferable to various industries and job roles. You may need to gain additional education or training in your desired field, but your experience as a lecturer can make you a well-rounded and adaptable candidate.

5. Are there opportunities for career advancement as a full-time NTT lecturer?

Yes, there are opportunities for career advancement as a full-time NTT lecturer. Depending on the institution and department, there may be opportunities for promotion to a higher rank or title, such as senior lecturer or principal lecturer. Additionally, you can gain leadership and administrative experience by taking on roles such as department chair or program director. It is important to communicate your career goals and aspirations with your superiors and actively seek out opportunities for professional growth and development.