Possibility of taking Dynamics, Thermo, and Statics simultaneously?

I have setup the map of my curriculum until I will be graduating, and due to thermodynamics and dynamics only being taught once a year, if I do not take them this upcoming semester I will be in school an additional year.

I am wondering if it is possible to take statics, dynamics, and thermodynamics all at the same time? I typically take 18-20 unit semesters with straight A's and I spend 40-50 hours outside of class studying - It is my life, I do nothing else.

I will also be taking introductory electricity and magnetism, calculus III, diff eq, and linear algebra. I have already started on the vector and diff eq material over this winter and I am about three chapters in to each subject.

I would like to know if it is realistic for me to take thermodynamics and dynamics at the same time as all of these other courses. I am not worried about course-load, but I am worried about material dependencies. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Answers and Replies

I am not worried about course-load, but I am worried about material dependencies. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
If you're worried about material dependencies then you're fine. Statics, dynamics and thermodynamics at that level are typically independent of each other; with some cross coupling between statics and dynamics. As you said, you can handle the course load so there should be no problems then.

Statics: Development of newtons second law as it applies to static objects (acceleration = 0), typically structures.
Dynamics: Development of newtons laws as it applies to dynamic objects. Typically 2D objects in motion (acceleration =/= 0). Note again: there may be some cross coupling between these two however, nothing to blow your mind.
Thermodynamics: Development of basic laws of thermodynamics as it applies to simple opened and closed systems. All 4 laws should be covered and applied.

Good luck.

Mech_Engineer
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Typically Statics is a prerequisite class to Dynamics, so you had better check on that.