Possibility of taking Dynamics, Thermo, and Statics simultaneously?

In summary: Thermodynamics is also a prerequisite, but it will only be a prerequisite if you take Linear Algebra as well.
mliuzzolino
I have setup the map of my curriculum until I will be graduating, and due to thermodynamics and dynamics only being taught once a year, if I do not take them this upcoming semester I will be in school an additional year.

I am wondering if it is possible to take statics, dynamics, and thermodynamics all at the same time? I typically take 18-20 unit semesters with straight A's and I spend 40-50 hours outside of class studying - It is my life, I do nothing else.

I will also be taking introductory electricity and magnetism, calculus III, diff eq, and linear algebra. I have already started on the vector and diff eq material over this winter and I am about three chapters into each subject.

I would like to know if it is realistic for me to take thermodynamics and dynamics at the same time as all of these other courses. I am not worried about course-load, but I am worried about material dependencies. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
mliuzzolino said:
I am not worried about course-load, but I am worried about material dependencies. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

If you're worried about material dependencies then you're fine. Statics, dynamics and thermodynamics at that level are typically independent of each other; with some cross coupling between statics and dynamics. As you said, you can handle the course load so there should be no problems then.

Statics: Development of Newtons second law as it applies to static objects (acceleration = 0), typically structures.
Dynamics: Development of Newtons laws as it applies to dynamic objects. Typically 2D objects in motion (acceleration =/= 0). Note again: there may be some cross coupling between these two however, nothing to blow your mind.
Thermodynamics: Development of basic laws of thermodynamics as it applies to simple opened and closed systems. All 4 laws should be covered and applied.

Good luck.

Typically Statics is a prerequisite class to Dynamics, so you had better check on that.

1) Can I take Dynamics, Thermo, and Statics at the same time?

Yes, it is possible to take these three courses simultaneously. However, it may be challenging as they all require a strong understanding of mathematics and physics concepts.

2) Are there any prerequisites for taking these courses together?

Yes, it is recommended to have completed courses in calculus, physics, and mechanics before taking Dynamics, Thermo, and Statics simultaneously. This will ensure that you have a solid foundation for these courses.

3) Will taking these courses together save me time?

It depends on your individual circumstances. While taking these courses together may allow you to complete them in a shorter amount of time, it also means you will have a heavier workload and may have to sacrifice time for other courses or activities.

4) Is it common for students to take these courses simultaneously?

It is not uncommon for students pursuing degrees in engineering or physics to take these courses together. However, it is important to consult with your academic advisor to ensure that it is feasible and manageable for you.

5) Can I handle the workload of taking these courses at the same time?

It ultimately depends on your time management skills and academic abilities. These courses require a significant amount of time and effort, so it is important to consider your other commitments and responsibilities before deciding to take them simultaneously.