Good textbooks for fluid mechanics and thermodynamics for MechE major?

• Thread starter Blkmage
  • Start date
So I'm most likely studying abroad next semester and taking a Fluid Mechanics course. At my home university, the pre-reqs are multivariable calc, diff eq, statics and dynamics, and classical thermodynamics. Abroad, all I need are multivariable and diff eq.

But I'm worried that I might be at a disadvantage since I haven't taken thermo yet. Can you guys recommend me some great textbooks for thermo and fluids? I am very good at learning from textbooks, so long as they have worked out examples and such.

I LOVED the Kleppner and Kolenkow mechanics textbook and used it constantly for an honors mechanics course. On the other hand, I hate when textbooks make huge leaps in logic, especially in the example problems. I had to use the Differential Equations textbook by Polking and it was god awful in this regard.

Anyways, I wanted to read through a thermo book this summer for some intro and maybe get a head start on fluids since I want to be able to enjoy my time abroad next semester.

Answers and Replies

boneh3ad
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
You won't be disadvantaged. The prerequisites are the way that they are for a reason.

At any rate, the good textbooks depend on what area of fluid mechanics you want to learn and what your major is.

I'm a mechanical engineering major and the course is really an intro to fluid mechanics, but it's designed for mechanic engineers and I've heard it's pretty math intensive. The short description is:

"Fundamental concepts; hydrostatics; integral and differential equations of fluid flows; conservation of mass, momentum and energy; dimensional analysis; pipe flow; channel flow and boundary layers. "

I was looking into the book by A.R. Paterson or the one by Frank White, but I'm not sure

boneh3ad
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Which Frank White book? His books are, in general, VERY good. I learned out of Munson, Young an Okiishi.

Some great thermo books:

Cengel and Boles, Thermodynamics: An Engineering Approach. McGraw-Hill
Moran and Shapiro, Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics. Wiley

Fluids:

Fox, McDonald, and Pritchard. Introduction to Fluid Mechanics. Wiley
F.M. White. Viscous Fluid Flow. McGraw Hill
Panton. Incompressible Fluid Flow.

I wold also recommend the Cengel and Boles book and the Fox, McDonald and Pritchard book. I am only familiar with White's Viscous Flow book which is an excellent reference but it is not an intro book.