What makes dynamics more difficult?

• Thread starter koab1mjr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary, dynamics is a bit more difficult than statics, but it's doable if you have a good foundation in statics. You'll need to brush up on some Diff EQ, and maybe laplace transforms.
koab1mjr
Hi

I am an ME student who finished up statics this past fall. I felt the course was not difficult at all, and had a lot of overlap with my calc physics courses. I have heard that dynamics is a significan step up in difficulty and I was wondering if someone could elaborate why in detail. Also what maths too brush up on prior to the course, I am assuming Diff EQ, up to laplace transforms maybe?

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You really only need to be knowledgeable with differentials and matricies if I remember correctly. It isn't so much math intensive as it is conceptually difficult (IMO). Unlike statics, you start to look at things moving from different reference frames and that can get things a bit complicated. I remember the first time I was asked about the acceleration of the end of an arm, attached to a rotating plate attached to another arm on a moving robot.

There are also two basic divisions; kinematics and dynamics. Kinematics just deals with the motions involved in a system. Dynamics takes the motions and throws in the forces involved as well.

It was a tough class for me. I remember surviving it and thinking that robotics and such was not my cup of tea. Still, it was an interesting class that you will use for the rest of your career, just like statics.

In both classes you're essentially solving
[tex]
f=ma
[/tex]
In statics ma=0, and in dynamics, it doesn't. Simplicity aside though, as Fred mentioned, things get really tricky when stuff starts moving. For me, the crux of the classes developing free-body diagrams. You've already learned how important they are in statics, and in dynamics, they are just as crucial.

However, as said, when things start moving and rotating, forces and be difficult, keeping proper conventions, etc, etc.

koab1mjr said:
Hi

I am an ME student who finished up statics this past fall. I felt the course was not difficult at all, and had a lot of overlap with my calc physics courses. I have heard that dynamics is a significan step up in difficulty and I was wondering if someone could elaborate why in detail. Also what maths too brush up on prior to the course, I am assuming Diff EQ, up to laplace transforms maybe?

Thanks in advance.

of course dynamics is a bit more difficult than statics.. i jus finished my kinematics and dynamics course this year and `l say that it doesn't involve too much of mathematical concepts ( as long as u can perform basic arithmetic operations and a little calculus). the real challenge comes in drawing free body diagrams of the forces involved in it... coz the objects are moving , and u need some imagination to actually visualize the motion of the body before doing any calculation in it.dyanmics is interesting if you are strong in the basics of statics and Newtonian mechanics.all the best

koab1mjr said:
Hi

Thanks in advance.

I found it to be about the same overall. However, it depends on the individual and their ability to "see the concept" so to speak.

I found it more challenging in dynamics to get me head wrapped around the mathematical model of the physical system than I did in statics. Probably do to the system moving.

CS

I honestly find dynamics to be easier than statics. Although this probably isn't because of the difficulty of either topic, but more because dynamics isn't so mind numbingly boring.

As minger stated, all you need to know is f = ma (or as I prefer f = dp/dt). Other than that, things aren't that much different than statics except for maybe the centripetal/centrifugal stuff.

1. What is dynamics in science?

Dynamics in science refers to the study of motion and forces, and how they interact with each other to determine the behavior of objects and systems.

2. Why is dynamics important in scientific research?

Dynamics is important in scientific research because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects and systems, which is crucial in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology.

3. What factors make dynamics more difficult to study?

There are several factors that can make dynamics more difficult to study, including complex and unpredictable systems, non-linear relationships between variables, and the presence of external influences such as friction and air resistance.

4. How can we make dynamics easier to study?

One way to make dynamics easier to study is by using mathematical models and simulations to simplify and visualize complex systems. Additionally, using controlled experiments and eliminating external factors can also help in studying dynamics.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding dynamics?

Understanding dynamics has several practical applications, including designing more efficient machines and structures, predicting and preventing natural disasters such as earthquakes and hurricanes, and improving our understanding of biological systems and processes.