Possible Ball Lightning Event Recorded in a Wildlife Preserve - April 30, 2016

  • Thread starter Thread starter astroscout
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ball Lightning
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 12K views
astroscout
Messages
62
Reaction score
4
Hi...I was wondering if you guys can take a look at an event I recorded back on April 30, 2016. The approaching storm with plenty of lightning led me to think this could be a Ball Lightning event. Those mountains are a wildlife preserve and there are no power lines or roads there. It was about 2am when this was taken so I doubt hikers were roaming around with a flashlight but who knows. I monitor the skies for Transient Luminous Events and meteors with my Watec B&W cameras and this is the only time I have ever captured anything like this. Please let me know what you think. Here is the link:
 
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I don't think that is what is normally called "ball lightning", but it could be some other anomalous electrostatic discharge from the storm.

The videos I have seen which purport to show ball lighting show a small spot of light that moves very fast between clouds or from the clouds to the ground. The flash in your video doesn't appear to be moving. In fact it looks a lot like an arc from an electrical wire. Are you sure there are no power lines over there?

This is of course just my own speculative opinion, which is really the best anyone can give for something like this.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: astroscout
Thanx NFuller...There are definitely no power lines there. I played it back frame by frame and the light source does move down the slope a little bit. Here is a stacked version to show the two locations.
compile1.jpg
 
Attachments
  • compile1.jpg
    compile1.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 1,890
Here is a new slowed down version to show how the light source moved from one location to another.