Possible Combinations | ATM Pin

Just to clarify, in your first option, you were throwing away numbers like 1911, 1991, 1191, etc. Those are all valid combinations, but they would not be allowed if you only had 9 options for the last digit. Glad I could help clarify things for you! In summary, the conversation discusses the possible combinations for a four digit code used at an automatic teller machine (ATM) where repetition of the same four digits is not allowed. Two possibilities are presented, with the second one being the correct one. The conversation also clarifies the mistake in the first possibility and provides an explanation for the correct solution.
skullers_ab

Homework Statement

To gain access to his account, a customer using an automatic teller machine (ATM) must enter a four digit code. If repetition of the same four digit is not allowed (for example, 1111), how many possible combinations are there?

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured two possible solutions. I do not know which one is correct and why the other one is not.

Possibility 1:
Considering 3 digits which can have 10 combinations each (0-9) and the last digit which can only have 9 combinations, to prevent the repetitions of all 4 digits; we have

10 X 10 X 10 X 9 = 9000

Possibility 2:
Considering that the number of combinations that are not allowed are 10 (0000, 1111, 2222, ..., 9999), we just take the total no. of possible combinations and subtract 10 from it. Thus,

(10^4) - 10 = 9990

I am biased towards the 2nd possibility but do not understand why the first one is wrong.
Explanation/help would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your "last digit which can only have 9 combinations, to prevent the repetitions of all 4 digits" would allow things like 1119 but NOT 1911 which is also a valid combination. There is nothing special about the last digit.

Pardon me if I misunderstood your point.

I didn't mean the last digit in the sense as the 4th digit. I meant that at least one of the digits has to be different and thus in any PIN, at least one of the digits will not be repeated, and thus will only have a selection of 9 numbers to choose from and not 10, unlike the other digits which will. Hence, 1119 and 1911 are both accounted for by 10 X 10 X 10 X 9, (which is the same as 10 X 9 X 10 X 10)

I'm sorry if I am not advocating the fact. My knowledge in combinatorics is poor and my expression bad. Intuition is a major factor in my point above.

If you are sure that what I'm saying is wrong, please let me know once more and I'll accept it and try to understand the topic better by reading more later on. Thanks for the reply.

skullers_ab said:
Pardon me if I misunderstood your point.

I didn't mean the last digit in the sense as the 4th digit. I meant that at least one of the digits has to be different and thus in any PIN, at least one of the digits will not be repeated, and thus will only have a selection of 9 numbers to choose from and not 10, unlike the other digits which will. Hence, 1119 and 1911 are both accounted for by 10 X 10 X 10 X 9, (which is the same as 10 X 9 X 10 X 10)

I'm sorry if I am not advocating the fact. My knowledge in combinatorics is poor and my expression bad. Intuition is a major factor in my point above.

If you are sure that what I'm saying is wrong, please let me know once more and I'll accept it and try to understand the topic better by reading more later on. Thanks for the reply.

What about things like [tex]123x[/tex] where x is a digit? "x" could be any of the ten* possibilities, yet you are restricting it to nine. You are eliminating options that work.

Your second option is correct. You get it by having the total number of possibilities, including the incorrect ones and getting rid of said options.
Obviously, the digits must be the same, so every subsequent digit will be the same as the first. So we get

[tex]10\times10\times10\times10 - 10\times1\times1\times1[/tex]
Which reduces to your second option.

Hmmm...that does make sense.

Earlier I was unable to understand which valid numbers I was 'throwing away' in my first option and why they were being 'thrown away'.

Thank you for very much for the explanation. It's quite clear to me now.

Cheers

Last edited:
No problem

What are possible combinations for an ATM pin?

The possible combinations for an ATM pin are any four-digit number from 0000 to 9999. This means that there are 10,000 possible combinations.

Can I choose my own ATM pin?

Yes, most banks allow you to choose your own ATM pin when you first receive your card. It is important to choose a unique and memorable pin to ensure the security of your account.

How do I reset my ATM pin if I forget it?

If you forget your ATM pin, you can usually reset it by visiting your bank's ATM or by contacting your bank's customer service. You may be required to provide personal identification or answer security questions to verify your identity.

Is it safe to use my birthdate as my ATM pin?

No, it is not safe to use your birthdate or any other easily guessable number as your ATM pin. It is important to choose a unique and secure pin to prevent unauthorized access to your account.

Can I change my ATM pin after I have already set it?

Yes, you can usually change your ATM pin at any time by visiting your bank's ATM or by contacting your bank's customer service. It is recommended to change your pin periodically for added security.