Possible combinations for six digit license plates, numbers 0-9 and letters a-z.

In summary, you can calculate the possible combinations for six digit license plates by 10*9*8*26*25*24/6*5*4*3*2*1.
Mackenzie3
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum so if I need to post elsewhere please let me know.

I'm having trouble with calculating the possible combinations for six digit license plates, numbers 0-9 and letters a-z.

I know the overall combinations are 1,947,792 when repetition is allowed and there are no other requirements, but I'm getting stuck when I have to limit three spots to only numbers and the other three to only letters.

I don't have a fancy calculator. Can someone let me know if this is correct?

10*9*8*26*25*24/6*5*4*3*2*1=3,895,584

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Mackenzie3 said:
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum so if I need to post elsewhere please let me know.

I'm having trouble with calculating the possible combinations for six digit license plates, numbers 0-9 and letters a-z.

I know the overall combinations are 1,947,792 when repetition is allowed and there are no other requirements, but I'm getting stuck when I have to limit three spots to only numbers and the other three to only letters.

I don't have a fancy calculator. Can someone let me know if this is correct?

10*9*8*26*25*24/6*5*4*3*2*1=3,895,584

Is the only difference that three have to be numbers and three have to be letters? Because your calculation "10*9*8*26*25*24" suggests that repetition is not allowed.

However, if repetition is allowed and there must be three letters and three numbers, we can find all unique combinations as follows:

$10 \cdot 10 \cdot 10 = 1000$ number permutations
$26 \cdot 26 \cdot 26 = 17576$ letter permutations

But we're not done yet! Now we need to think about the positioning of the letters/numbers. So we need to see how many different ways the letters/numbers can be ordered.

What we want is to choose three places for, let's say, the letters (then the numbers will automatically take the other three positions). So we can order them in 6 choose 3 different ways.

${6 \choose 3} = \frac{6!}{3!(6-3)!}=20$

Then, finally, there are:

$1000 \cdot 17576 \cdot 20 = 351520000$ unique license plates.

1. How many possible combinations are there for a six digit license plate?

There are a total of 36 possible characters (26 letters + 10 numbers) that can be used in each position of a six digit license plate. Therefore, the total number of possible combinations is 36 to the power of 6, which equals 2,176,782,336.

2. Are there any restrictions on the use of certain characters in a license plate?

Yes, there are certain restrictions on the use of characters in a license plate. For example, some states do not allow the use of certain letters or numbers that may be considered offensive. Additionally, some states have specific rules for the placement of letters and numbers on a license plate.

3. Can a license plate have repeating characters?

Yes, a license plate can have repeating characters. Since there are a total of 36 characters that can be used, it is possible for a license plate to have the same character appear multiple times in different positions.

4. How long would it take to manually check all possible combinations for a six digit license plate?

Assuming it takes one second to check each combination, it would take approximately 68 years to manually check all possible combinations for a six digit license plate. This is based on the fact that there are 2,176,782,336 possible combinations and there are 31,536,000 seconds in a year.

5. Is it possible for two different license plates to have the same combination?

Yes, it is possible for two different license plates to have the same combination. This is due to the fact that there are a limited number of characters that can be used and there are a large number of possible combinations. However, each state has its own unique combination of characters and placement rules, which reduces the likelihood of two license plates having the same combination.