Possible combinations of numbers for 3,4,5,6,7 (up to 9?)

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter AlexFX
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Combinations Numbers
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
AlexFX
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hello everyone.
Thanks for this amazing forum.
I hope I can be forgiven for asking for a software problem rather than a topic specific puzzle.
I am looking and happy to pay for a downloadable program I can run from my desk top which will return all possible combinations of numbers for 3,4,5,6,7...(up to 9?) from any given set of numbers (up to 99?), Generated combinations should be numbered/ordered from 1-X.
Generated combinations and sub-sets should be printable and exported to a tab-delimited text file.
Can anyone please lead me in the right direction?

I had a real nifty little program called... Combinations! by Gordon Gonsalves on my laptop (OS: XP) but my laptop bit the dust without notice.
It would for instance return 8,145,060 combinations (6,45) in a few seconds.

Gordon is no longer selling/ providing support so if anyone can help I would be in your debt.
Many thanks for time and attention.
Alex
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't really understand what you are asking for. To the extent that I can understand it, it sounds rather trivial so I'm probably missing something. Can you give examples or something to further explain?
 
I'm guessing that the OP is asking about the number of combinations of n things taken r at a time, where n can be up to 99 or so, and r can be up to 9.

In symbols, this would be
$$n \choose r$$

What he's saying, I think, is that $$ {45 \choose 6} = 8,145,060$$
but I haven't verified this.
 
Last edited:
Correct.
The formula for combinations (not permutations) would be 45!/[(45-6)!(6!)] = (because the order or the sequence does not matter) =8,145,060.

I'm looking for a program which would generate all possible combinations for different variables
up to 99!/[(99-9)!(9!)], exportable to a tab-delimited text file.

rcgldr, thanks, I know the website is still up but the free downloads are very limited, and Gordon has left the receiver off the hook.

I imagined there might be someone here on the forum who could help.
Thanks for time and attention and pardon if I've used up precious time.