Possible Echelon Form of Matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses the rank of a matrix and its row echelon form, with a focus on a $4 \times 3$ matrix. The original matrix $A$ is compared to the second possibility for its row echelon form, with a question about the number of linearly independent columns in both matrices. It is clarified that a single vector can only be linearly dependent if it is the zero vector. The conversation then discusses the implication of $\textbf{w} \notin \text{ span } \{\textbf{u,v}\}$ being linearly independent and the correctness of the second possibility for the row echelon form. Finally, there is a question about the meaning of $\textbf{w}
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the rank (the maximum number of linearly independent columns) of the original matrix and the one in 2nd possibility? The rank of a matrix and its row echelon form should be the same.

Don't really understand what you're asking. If the solution isn't correct, please explain why it isn't correct. I'm supposed to list all possible echelon forms, not just one possible echelon form. There is no "original matrix". All possible forms of $4 \times 3$ matrix apply.

By the original matrix I mean $A$. With respect to the rest of my explanation, you'll have to explain what is unclear to you. I am asking to compare the number of linearly independent columns in $A$ (i.e., $a_1$, $a_2$ and $a_3$) and in the matrix you wrote under "2nd Possibility".

I realize $\textbf{a}_1$ was not a linearly independent column. So only the 1st possibility is possible.

bwpbruce said:
I realize $\textbf{a}_1$ was not a linearly independent column. So only the 1st possibility is possible.
How did you make the conclusion that only the first possibility is possible?

We rarely say that a single vector is linearly (in)dependent. A vector $v$ is linearly dependent iff there exists a nonzero scalar $\alpha$ such that $\alpha v=0$. This happens iff $v=0$. So a single vector is linearly dependent iff it is a zero vector.

But my question is still the same: how many vectors among $\mathbf{a}_1$, $\mathbf{a}_2$ and $\mathbf{a}_3$ are linearly independent? Two are independent for sure since it is said explicitly that $\{\mathbf{a}_1,\mathbf{a}_2\}$ is a linearly independent set. What about $\{\mathbf{a}_1,\mathbf{a}_2,\mathbf{a}_3\}$?

Because of this:
View attachment 3786

Basically, if $\textbf{a}_3$ isn't in span$ \{\textbf{a}_1, \textbf{a}_2\}$, then it is linearly independent of the other vectors.

Attachments

• Geometric Description of Linear Dependence.PNG
    Geometric Description of Linear Dependence.PNG
    8.9 KB · Views: 44
Yes, $\mathbf{a}_3\notin\operatorname{Span}\{\mathbf{a}_1,\mathbf{a}_2\}$ implies that $\{\mathbf{a}_1,\mathbf{a}_2,\mathbf{a}_3\}$ are linearly independent. Therefore, the row echelon form should also have three linearly independent columns. However, possibility 2 has only 2 linearly independent columns, so it is not, in fact, a possibility.

BTW, can you clarify what they are referring to when they say $\textbf{w}$ not in span{$\textbf{u,v}$} is linearly independent? According to their graph, $\textbf{u,v}$ are linearly dependent. So why are they implying that {$\textbf{u,v,w}$} is linearly independent?

bwpbruce said:
BTW, can you clarify what they are referring to when they say $\textbf{w}$ not in span{$\textbf{u,v}$} is linearly independent?
The claim that allows deducing $\{\mathbf{a}_1,\mathbf{a}_2,\mathbf{a}_3\}$ is linearly independent under the assumptions of post #1 is the claim in https://driven2services.com/staging/mh/index.php?threads/13869/. Note that it is incorrect to say "$\mathbf{w}$ is linearly independent". Only a set of vectors (even if the set contains one vector) can be linearly dependent.

What you just said doesn't exactly answer the specific question I was asking. I'm trying to get clarification on what they mean when they say that $\textbf{w} \notin \text{ span } \{\textbf{u,v}\}$ is linearly independent. Are they saying that the set $\{\textbf{u,w,v}\}$ is linearly independent?

1. What is the possible echelon form of a matrix?

The possible echelon form of a matrix is a simplified version of the original matrix that has been reduced using elementary row operations. It consists of a series of rows where each successive row has more leading zeros than the previous row.

2. How can I determine if a matrix is in echelon form?

A matrix is in echelon form if it satisfies two conditions: 1) all non-zero rows are above any rows of all zeros, and 2) the leading coefficient (first non-zero entry) of each row is to the right of the leading coefficient of the row above it.

3. What are the elementary row operations used to reduce a matrix to echelon form?

The three elementary row operations are 1) multiplying a row by a non-zero constant, 2) adding a multiple of one row to another row, and 3) swapping two rows.

4. Can any matrix be reduced to echelon form?

Yes, any matrix can be reduced to echelon form using the elementary row operations. However, the resulting echelon form may not be unique as there can be multiple ways to reduce a matrix to echelon form.

5. Why is it useful to have a matrix in echelon form?

Having a matrix in echelon form makes it easier to perform operations such as calculating the determinant, finding the inverse, and solving systems of linear equations. It also provides a simplified representation of the original matrix.