1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Possible measurement, eigenvalues of eigenfunctions and probabilities

1. Jan 26, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose the angular wavefunction is ##\propto (\sqrt{2} cos(\theta) + sin (\theta) e^{-i\phi} - sin (\theta) e^{i\phi})##, find possible results of measurement of:

(a) ##\hat {L^2}##
    (b)##\hat {L_z}##

and their respective probabilities.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Part (a)
    Eigenvalue is ##2\hbar^2##. Thus that is the possible result. How do I find the probability of that outcome?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2014 #2

strangerep

Science Advisor

Ahem. I think you could put more than <nothing> in your "relevant equations" section. E.g., what are explicit expressions for your operators in this case? You could also write the general formula for computing a probability for a particular observable and a given state. You could also show some detail of how you arrived at the eigenvalue for ##\hat L^2##.

It also wouldn't hurt to state the source of your question.

Bear in mind that if you're unwilling to put more effort into your post, then why should others put effort into helping you?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted