Possible to evaluate the gamma function analytically?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of evaluating the gamma function analytically, particularly for non-integer values such as Pi. The speaker mentions trying different methods such as Taylor expansion and residue integration, but none seem to work. They also mention that the gamma function has closed form values for integer and half-integer values of z.
LeBrad
Does anybody know if it's possible to evaluate the gamma function analytically? I know it becomes a factorial for integers, and there's a trick involving a switch to polar coordinates for half values, but what about any other number? I have tried using a Taylor expansion and residue integration, but neither seems to work. Just curious if it's possible.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, let me PM this to Ed Witten.

There are several representations. The best known is in terms of an integral
[tex]
\Gamma (z) = \int_{0}^\infty t^{z-1} e^{-t} dt
[/tex]

I understand that, but I'm looking for a non-numerical solution to that integral for a value of z such as Pi. The integral is impossible to evaluate in closed form, but is there some other way?

I can't claim expertize on the gamma function, but from what I have able to find, the only closed form values are for integer or half integer values of z.

What is the gamma function?

The gamma function is a mathematical function that is used to extend the concept of factorial to real and complex numbers.

What does it mean to evaluate the gamma function analytically?

Evaluating the gamma function analytically means to find the exact value of the function using mathematical formulas and techniques, rather than approximating it numerically.

Is it possible to evaluate the gamma function analytically for all values?

No, it is not possible to evaluate the gamma function analytically for all values. For some values, such as negative integers, the function is undefined.

Why is it important to be able to evaluate the gamma function analytically?

The gamma function is used in many areas of mathematics and science, including statistics, physics, and engineering. Being able to evaluate it analytically allows for more precise and efficient calculations.

What are some techniques for evaluating the gamma function analytically?

Some techniques for evaluating the gamma function analytically include the Lanczos approximation, Stirling's formula, and the reflection formula. These techniques involve using mathematical formulas and properties to calculate the value of the function.