Possible to have severe 2021 flu season because of Covid?

• COVID
  • Thread starter aheight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Covid
In summary, it appears that the lack of diversity in the global pool of flu viruses may have led to the disappearance of one of the two lineages of influenza B viruses, simplifying the task of making flu shots for next year. However, I don't think that just one missed season will cause much problems.
aheight
TL;DR Summary
Will the limited availability of influenza cases due to covid hamper our ability to develop an effective flu vaccine for 2021?
Here's a CDC link summarizing how a influenza vaccine is developed: Selecting viruses for flu vaccine However, as you know, we've had a record mild flu season because of covid. I'm wondering if this will adversely affect our ability to create an effective vaccine for the 2021 flu season due to the relative lack of specimens? Are we headed for a deadly flu season because of covid? Should we be concerned? If it becomes deadly, I suspect we wouldn't have time to recover (develop a new vaccine). I contacted the CDC about this. Curious if they'll reply. Was wondering what you guys think.

Biology news on Phys.org
I don't know the answer but it sure is an interesting question

First, there is a simple solution - stay locked down forever. If it saves just one life...

Second, seasonal influenza has a case fatality rate of 0.1% and 10's of thousands of deaths per year in the US. That means 10's of millions of people catch it. Even if 99% of the cases that would have happened last year did not, that's 100's of thousands. Plenty of specimens.

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint and russ_watters
aheight said:
Are we headed for a deadly flu season because of covid?
I don't think that just one missed season will cause much problems but indeed, a few years of preventive measures suddenly lifted would likely mean a strong and unpredictable re-start.

But 'deadly'? No.

A pandemic upside: The flu virus became less diverse, simplifying the task of making flu shots
With Covid suppression measures like mask wearing, school closures, and travel restrictions driving flu transmission rates to historically low levels around the world, it appears that one of the H3N2 clades may have disappeared — gone extinct. The same phenomenon may also have occurred with one of the two lineages of influenza B viruses, known as B/Yamagata.

Neither has been spotted in over a year. In fact, March of 2020 was the last time viral sequences from B/Yamagata or the H3N2 clade known as 3c3.A were uploaded into the international databases used to monitor flu virus evolution, Trevor Bedford, a computational biologist at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle, told STAT.

If the global pool of flu viruses has truly shrunk to this degree, it would be a welcome outcome, flu experts say, making the twice-a-year selection of viruses to be included in flu vaccines for the Northern and Southern hemispheres much easier work.
https://www.statnews.com/2021/06/02...diverse-simplifying-task-of-making-flu-shots/

• Informative
Likes nsaspook, Astronuc, OmCheeto and 3 others
Or perhaps unforeseen effects of the novel mRNA vaccine will predispose people to experiencing more severe flu symptoms? I imagine attributing a deadly flu season to a lack of adequately formulated flu vaccines is a better explanation.

EHope said:
Or perhaps unforeseen effects of the novel mRNA vaccine will predispose people to experiencing more severe flu symptoms? I imagine attributing a deadly flu season to a lack of adequately formulated flu vaccines is a better explanation.
Do you have any reason to think that this would be the case? I am not aware of anything that would suggest that a vaccine could predispose people to more severe flu symptoms.

Likes pinball1970 and Astronuc

1. Can the presence of Covid-19 increase the severity of the upcoming flu season?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that the presence of Covid-19 will directly impact the severity of the upcoming flu season. However, the potential for co-infection with both viruses could lead to more severe illness and strain on healthcare systems.

2. How does Covid-19 affect the transmission of the flu virus?

It is still unclear how Covid-19 may affect the transmission of the flu virus. Some studies suggest that the measures put in place to prevent the spread of Covid-19, such as wearing masks and social distancing, may also help reduce the transmission of the flu virus.

3. Will the flu vaccine protect against Covid-19?

No, the flu vaccine does not protect against Covid-19. However, getting a flu vaccine can help prevent you from getting the flu and reduce the severity of symptoms if you do get infected. It is important to continue following all recommended measures to prevent the spread of Covid-19.

4. Are there any similarities between Covid-19 and the flu?

There are some similarities between Covid-19 and the flu, such as both being respiratory illnesses that can cause fever, cough, and difficulty breathing. However, Covid-19 is caused by a different virus and appears to be more contagious and have a higher mortality rate compared to the flu.

5. How can we prepare for a potentially severe flu season during the Covid-19 pandemic?

To prepare for a potentially severe flu season during the Covid-19 pandemic, it is important to continue following all recommended measures to prevent the spread of Covid-19, such as wearing masks, social distancing, and frequent hand washing. Additionally, getting a flu vaccine and staying up to date on all other vaccinations can help protect against other respiratory illnesses and reduce the strain on healthcare systems.