Post-micturition convulsion syndrome

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
In summary, post-micturition convulsion syndrome (PMCS) is a shiver felt along the spine, mostly in males, after urinating. It is a normal physiological phenomenon with an unknown cause, and is often referred to as a misnomer as it is not a convulsion in the traditional sense. PMCS can range from a mild shiver to a more intense and almost violent shivering sensation, but the reason for this is still unclear.
Mk
Post-micturition convulsion syndrome, I read, is a shiver felt along the spine, mostly in males, after urinating. For my life, I have had a post-micturition convulsion syndrome, but it isn't just a spine shiver, I find it to be almost violent "shivering," not quite full body, but more than just the extremities. How personal. So, what's up? Do I fit into this category, or is it something else?

Biology news on Phys.org
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a4_225.html :rofl:

It's a misnomer (of course), "convulsion" brings to mind epileptiform fits which have a (presumably) completely different etiology. This is a thermostasis/rigor-type muscular shiver.

This physiological (meaning normal) phenomenon is fairly common and the reason for it is basically unknown. As the straight dope article said, various theories have been put forward from a sudden thermal deficit to a parasympathetic reflex. In other words, we don't know piss about it. :biggrin:

Thank you for sharing your experience with post-micturition convulsion syndrome. It can be quite alarming to experience such intense shivering after urinating, so I can understand your concern.

Post-micturition convulsion syndrome, also known as pee shivers or pee shudders, is a phenomenon that is not fully understood by medical professionals. It is believed to be caused by the sudden release of tension in the muscles of the bladder and pelvic floor after urination. This release of tension can trigger a reflex response in the nervous system, leading to the shivering sensation.

While most cases of post-micturition convulsion syndrome involve a shiver felt along the spine, it is not uncommon for individuals to experience more intense shivering or even full-body shudders. So, it is possible that your experience falls within the spectrum of this syndrome.

However, it is always important to consult with a medical professional if you have any concerns about your health. They can provide a proper diagnosis and rule out any other underlying conditions that may be causing your symptoms.

In the meantime, some ways to potentially alleviate the shivering sensation include keeping warm, staying hydrated, and practicing relaxation techniques such as deep breathing.

I hope this information helps to clarify your experience with post-micturition convulsion syndrome. Take care.

What is Post-micturition convulsion syndrome?

Post-micturition convulsion syndrome, also known as pee shivers or pee shudders, is a phenomenon where a person experiences a sudden shiver or convulsion after urinating. It is a common and harmless occurrence that affects both men and women.

What causes Post-micturition convulsion syndrome?

The exact cause of Post-micturition convulsion syndrome is not fully understood. However, it is believed to be related to the activity of the parasympathetic nervous system, which controls involuntary bodily functions such as urination. The sudden drop in blood pressure and the activation of the parasympathetic nervous system may trigger the shivering reflex in some individuals.

Is Post-micturition convulsion syndrome a sign of a medical condition?

No, Post-micturition convulsion syndrome is not a sign of a medical condition. It is a normal physiological response and does not pose any health risks. However, if you experience other symptoms such as pain or discomfort during urination, it is important to consult a doctor.

Can Post-micturition convulsion syndrome be prevented?

There is no known way to prevent Post-micturition convulsion syndrome. It is a natural occurrence and does not require any treatment. However, keeping oneself warm and maintaining a healthy lifestyle may reduce the frequency of these shivers.

When should I be concerned about Post-micturition convulsion syndrome?

In most cases, Post-micturition convulsion syndrome is a harmless and normal occurrence. However, if you experience other symptoms such as pain, discomfort, or difficulty in urinating, it is important to consult a doctor. These symptoms could be a sign of an underlying medical condition that requires treatment.