Post Your Summer/Fall 2013 Class Schedules

• Thread starter Genericcoder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary, the person's fall 2013 class schedule includes taking Calculus I, General Physics I, Chemistry I, and Intro to Anthropology. They are also volunteering in a superconductivity lab and thinking about a part time job.
Genericcoder
Post Your Summer/Fall 2013 Class Schedules!

1)Introduction to probability.
2)Thermodynamics
3)Electricity and Magnetism
4)Complex analysis
5)Mathematical physics

Physics news on Phys.org
Summer:
Condensed Matter Experiment Research
High Energy Theory (Tutored by a grad student)

Fall:
Statistical Mechanics
Classical Mechanics
Probability Theory and Computation
Abstract Algebra
Introduction to Java Programming
HEP-TH Work

Winter:
HEP-TH Work

Fall courses:
  • Microprocessor Based Embedded Systems
  • Engineering Economics
  • Electric Machines Fundamentals
  • Power Electronics
  • Electricity Magnetism and Fields
  • Advanced Analog Electronics and Instrumentation

Oh god it's time for fall courses already. Where has the time gone T_T

My fall semester starts up in 2 more weeks.

I've got-

General Physics I
Calculus I
General Chemistry I
Intro to Anthropology
Beginning Spanish I

For a total of 21 credit hours. Should be a fun and challenging semester. I'm looking forward to dipping my toes into some calculus finally. I've been working ahead in my Calculus book, and looks like a lot of fun so far. :)

QuantumCurt said:
Man I don't even remember what classes I signed up for lol.

Might as well add a high school perspective to this.

Calc III
Physics electricity and magnetism
European History
English literature
French literature (ugh...)
Computer science

I'm expecting a lot of fun next year as long as I can make it through French.

Summer was Astronomy 305. Done.

Fall is Mechanics, calculus I, Entomology (for general ed).

I purposely took my astronomy class in the summer so that I only had to take 3 classes in the fall :D

I forgot to add that I am working on research in one of the physics labs 20 hours a week, and research in an astronomy lab 10 hours a week. That is the reason I am trying to keep my school workload a bit easier this semester. When I am done with my HHMI scholarship I can add more classes again, maybe...

Last edited:
I took the summer off because it will probably be the last time I can do that, however my fall schedule:
  • Calculus 2
  • Chemistry 1
  • General Physics 1

Summer:

Engineering Communications

Fall (tentative):

Interfacial Phenomena
Mathematical Biophysics
Analytic Math Methods
Differential Analysis

Fall 2013:

ENGR 450 - Engineering Materials (3 credit hours)
ENGR 425 - Fluid Dynamics (3 credit hours )
NE 408 - Ionizing Radiation ( 3 credit hours)
NE 271 - Engineering Problem Solving (3 credit hours )
NE 411 - Reactor Engineering ( 3 credit hours)
P 406 - Modern Physics (3 credit hours )

QuantumCurt said:

I've got-

General Physics I
Calculus I
General Chemistry I
Intro to Anthropology
Beginning Spanish I

For a total of 21 credit hours. Should be a fun and challenging semester. I'm looking forward to dipping my toes into some calculus finally. I've been working ahead in my Calculus book, and looks like a lot of fun so far. :)

Calculus is hardly what I would classify as "fun"

caldweab said:

Neither would engineering :tongue:

micromass said:
Neither would engineering :tongue:

Lol fair enough. You're a physics major?

• Calculus I
  • Physics I + lab
  • Music Theory

I'm already at 13 credit hours. The Calculus class is 5 credit hours, as well as Physics. I would take more classes, but I don't want to overdo it. So, possibly next semester I'll take more classes.

Last edited:
Classical Mechanics I
Practical Physics I
Quantum Mechanics II
Ordinary Differential Equations
History/Philosophy: Science and Values

I'm also volunteering in a superconductivity lab, and thinking about a part time job...not sure if I'd kill myself if I do that.

WannabeNewton said:
Man I don't even remember what classes I signed up for lol.

lol...It can all get lost in the blur sometimes. I just finished my summer classes like a week ago, and my fall semester starts August 19th. 3 whole weeks off. There was roughly a week in between the end of spring semester and the start of summer classes, so I haven't really had anything resembling a summer break. My entire break before fall starts is basically going to be spent doing math. I've already worked through about half of my geometry textbook, to make up for the fact that I've never taken a geometry class. I've also been working through the parts of my trig book that we didn't cover, namely the sections on conics, and rotations of conics. Pretty simple stuff so far. I've also been dipping into the calculus book quite a bit. I've pretty much worked through the whole first chapter on limits and continuity.

You could say I've done a little bit of math this last week. My goal is to finish off this geometry book, and finish the sections of my trig book that we didn't cover, before fall classes start, at the very least.
caldweab said:

I'm afraid I'm going to have to challenge you to a duel. Take it back! :tongue:

-cuddles Calculus book- "Don't listen to them...you're all kinds of fun..."

QuantumCurt said:
lol...It can all get lost in the blur sometimes. I just finished my summer classes like a week ago, and my fall semester starts August 19th. 3 whole weeks off. There was roughly a week in between the end of spring semester and the start of summer classes, so I haven't really had anything resembling a summer break. My entire break before fall starts is basically going to be spent doing math. I've already worked through about half of my geometry textbook, to make up for the fact that I've never taken a geometry class. I've also been working through the parts of my trig book that we didn't cover, namely the sections on conics, and rotations of conics. Pretty simple stuff so far. I've also been dipping into the calculus book quite a bit. I've pretty much worked through the whole first chapter on limits and continuity.

You could say I've done a little bit of math this last week. My goal is to finish off this geometry book, and finish the sections of my trig book that we didn't cover, before fall classes start, at the very least. I'm afraid I'm going to have to challenge you to a duel. Take it back! :tongue:

-cuddles Calculus book- "Don't listen to them...you're all kinds of fun..."

I like calculus. I'm an engineering major, nuclear engineer at that. All I work with is differential equations, partial differential equations and calculus concepts. It's just that I wouldn't do calculus for the entertainment of it.

caldweab said:
I like calculus. I'm an engineering major, nuclear engineer at that. All I work with is differential equations, partial differential equations and calculus concepts. It's just that I wouldn't do calculus for the entertainment of it.

Well, if I was doing it everyday as part of a job(which I will be someday), I probably wouldn't be spending my spare time doing it either. But, I'm just starting to learn it, so it's still new and exciting to me.

Computational calculus is certainly boring. Proof based calculus on the other hand is very fun :wink:

Dunno, I always enjoyed calculating integrals. I wouldn't like it now, but I remember I had great fun doing it when I first learned it.

micromass said:
Dunno, I always enjoyed calculating integrals. I wouldn't like it now, but I remember I had great fun doing it when I first learned it.
Wolfram likes it a lot too :biggrin:

I'm looking forward to doing that. I really can't wait to finally get into some calculus. I like long tedious computations.

Some of the calculations that I had in college algebra were incredibly tedious, and would take up an entire page. I enjoy that stuff. Some people like doing sudoku puzzles and things like that...I enjoy doing math. I like the brain exercise. Although once I get a little deeper into calculus, I might not enjoy it so much anymore.

Summer:
Prob & Stats 1
Speech

Fall:
Real Analysis 1 (baby Rudin... good times)
PDEs
Quantum Mechanics 1
Classical Mechanics
Independent Study (an intro to Khovanov Homology and maybe something else depending on how it goes)

Fall
Honors Real Variables
Algebra: Groups and Fields
Algebra: Advanced Group Theory
Topics in Algebra (Graduate Course- Topic will be lie algebra structure theory!)

Calculating integrals is still fun for me. I don't often do them by hand, but when I do i enjoy it. Integrals done with parametric integration and some contour integrals with tricky branch cuts are truly puzzles of the highest order.

In the fall I am taking:

Quantum Many Body Theory
Quantum Field Theory
Special Topics in Condensed Matter: Quantum Phase Transitions

Seeing the schedules that some of you guys are posting is making me feel a little better about the course loads I'll be taking on after I transfer to a university. I'm loading up on pretty heavy schedules right now in community college, but after I transfer I'll probably be taking 4 upper level math/physics courses each semester, for the two years I'll be there. I've seen some schedules that look fairly similar to some of the schedules I'll likely have.

WannabeNewton said:
Wolfram likes it a lot too :biggrin:

Yes! Just every kind of yes!

Fall 2013
-Probability Theory
-ODEs
-Linear Analysis
-Vector Analysis
-Algorithms in C

Spring 2013
-Theoretical Mechanics
-PDEs
-Numerical Analysis
-Operations Research
- MATLAB

Summer 2013
-Real Analysis with a prof hopefully
-Intern somewhere...

Galois Theory
Differential Topology
Topological Dynamics

Good times.

QuantumCurt said:
I'm looking forward to doing that. I really can't wait to finally get into some calculus. I like long tedious computations.

Some of the calculations that I had in college algebra were incredibly tedious, and would take up an entire page. I enjoy that stuff. Some people like doing sudoku puzzles and things like that...I enjoy doing math. I like the brain exercise. Although once I get a little deeper into calculus, I might not enjoy it so much anymore.

My calc II professor called solving integrals "weight lifting for the brain". Best math teacher ever... I would go to office hours and he would be at his desk practicing integrals like a student about to take his final. He is part of the reason I'm now a physics major instead of engineering.

- classical mechanics
- mathematical statistics
- plate tectonics
- planetary science
- mathematical physics

Starting research with a seismology group :D

Honors analysis
Honors abstract linear algebra
Honors abstract algebra

I may also take Russian or symbolic logic.

dustbin said:
Honors analysis
Honors abstract linear algebra
Honors abstract algebra

I may also take Russian or symbolic logic.

Russian logic?

jbrussell93 said:
My calc II professor called solving integrals "weight lifting for the brain". Best math teacher ever... I would go to office hours and he would be at his desk practicing integrals like a student about to take his final. He is part of the reason I'm now a physics major instead of engineering.

That reminds me of my College Algebra professor from a couple semesters ago. He liked long tedious computations. There were plenty of times I'd stop in his office hours, and he'd just be sitting around doing math. I was a little bit more passionate about math than any of the other students in my class, and he always ended up giving me some extra problems to do when I stopped in his office hours. Not for extra credit or anything, just to challenge me and see if I could work them out. Some of them were quite difficult, given the nature of the course. He was one of the coolest professors I've ever had.

Number Nine said:
Differential Topology
Now we're talkin' :wink: Have fun in that class; differential topology is literally the coolest thing ever.