Post your Winter and Spring 2011 schedules here

• Thread starter Jack21222
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary: B+ grades hold you back!In summary, the person is planning to take a few graduate level classes and is expecting the workload to be about the same as it was this past semester.
Winter:
PHYS 227 - Classical Physics
MATH 211 - Linear Algebra
AMAT 217 - Honours Calculus
CHEM 211 - General Chemistry
ARKY 201 - Introduction to Archaeology

Spring:
PHYS 255 - Electromagnetic Theory I
CPSC 217 - Introduction to Computer Science
AMAT 219 - Multivariable Calculus
ASPH 213 - Introduction to Astrophysics
ARKY 325 - Ancient Civilizations

What do you guys think? This would be my first year, I'm doing a Bsc (Honours) Astrophysics with a minor in Archaeology!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like it'll be these for me:
Calc II w/analytic geometry
Geology I w/lab
English II
Intro to computer programming

There's another freshman in my school who is doing close-to-the-same courses as I'm doing, so it's nothing overly out of place.

Yes, yes it is.

@ephedyn: I do think that it's a lot of classes, but you'll be able to judge what you can and can't handle better than any of us. One thing to watch out for is that you might start to get burned out mid-semester just from having to attend so many classes and do so much homework every day.

@Oriako: Without any other information, it sure looks like a solid plan.And now, for my most amazing schedule next semester, let me just look it up...
You are not enrolled in classes.​
Oops, I knew I forgot to do something.

I am sorry, but I don't see how his schedule is impossible. In Brazil, we have an average of 25-30 class credits every semester (6-8 disciplines), plus undergrad research, which sums up to 45-50 credits (research is 20 hours weekly). And that's common for every good university in here. And, of course, there is still over-class studying.

I have discussed this matter in here before and it's pretty much related to what you have to do in home, so his schedule doesn't surprise me, as I know a few people in here who do two parallel courses (this is about 45-50 credits of classes, we don't have such a thing as "double major" in here) plus 20 hours of independent research every week.

EDIT: Also, it's very uncommon to have someone with an almost-perfect GPA in here like I see people in this forum. I'm not sure if this is a pro or cons.

Last edited:
Ah, after looking around a tad I found out that ephedyn has 4 terms a year, so now it makes a lot of sense. (since those 8 classes are distributed between two terms)

My apologies for my "normal"-U.S.-University-centrism!

WINTER:

4-th year Honours Thesis Project

Particle Physics - Properties of leptons, quarks and hadrons. The fundamental interactions, conservation laws, invariance principles and quantum numbers. Resonances in hadron-hadron interactions. Three body phase space. Dalitz plots. Quark model of hadrons, mass formulae. Weak interactions, parity violation, decay of neutral kaons, CP violation, Cabibbo theory.

Introduction to Quantum Mechanics II - Scattering theory and application; bound state problems; approximation methods.

Physical Electronics - Fundamentals of device physics and operation of the pn junction, bipolar transistor and MOSFET. Basic integrated circuit processing and application to diodes, BJTs and MOSFETs. Correlation between processing, structure, operation and modeling. Consideration of parasitic and small-geometry effects, reliability and process variation.

?

SPRING: Hopefully graduating!

I'm actually looking for some advice, PF. I need one more elective to complete my degree, and if all goes well I want to study Quantum Optics (at U of T), Quantum Information/Computing (at Waterloo) or Photonics (at Carleton or Ottawa U) at the graduate level. Does anyone have any suggestions for a math, programming or EE background that I will need? My univeristy does offer a course in Modern Optics, but unfortunately it wasn't offered this year (not even at the graduate level). Here are a couple of courses that work with my schedule that I think might help, but please let me know what you think:

Abstract Algebra I - Sets and relations, number theory, group theory, ring theory, cardinal numbers.

Algebraic Structures with Computer Applications - Introduction to algebraic structures: groups, rings, fields, lattices, and Boolean algebras; with applications of interest to students in Computer Science. (This seems like it would be applicable to QIC, no?)

Again, I have to back the point that 8 classes a semester is still manageable. Most of the classes that I signed up for are semester-long instead of term-long classes, so they are not as distributed as you say. It has nothing to do with distribution, dishonesty or American-decentralization, whatever. There is a much, MUCH, simpler and true explanation that I am trying to drive across. Simply: it is do-able, and thereby I didn't think much of posting about it just like I did in the Fall 2010 thread.

Yes, General_Sax. Not counting the record I know of: 16 classes in 1 semester at MIT, I know a freshman who did 7 classes in a semester, including senior classes, there last year; and of course there's a freshman at Harvard this year who has done algebraic geometry, algebraic topology and commutative algebra. Then there's Anonymous217 here who clearly mentioned that he will be pretty much straight-flushing with graduate courses next year. All of which are much harder feats by several orders of magnitude.

It's sad that I receive so many rude remarks that range from disparaging my honesty, to one-line sarcasm, to demands that I post pictures, to shameless proclamations of having run background checks on me. I've done my best to answer these posts that seem more like they are taken out of 4chan than physicsforums with anecdote, example, explanation and evidence. I'm happy to know that I've passed your background check, but I'm unable to accept your apology.

@Hobold: Exactly! I didn't count, but estimating from my google calendar for last semester, that was pretty much my workload. 60-70 hours on a typical week, but nearly 2 weeks' worth of overnighters, 4 for research, 2 to TeX notes for my differential geometry professor, 6 on the days/weekends before my mid-terms and exams.

Yes, General_Sax. Not counting the record I know of: 16 classes in 1 semester at MIT, I know a freshman who did 7 classes in a semester, including senior classes, there last year; and of course there's a freshman at Harvard this year who has done algebraic geometry, algebraic topology and commutative algebra. Then there's Anonymous217 here who clearly mentioned that he will be pretty much straight-flushing with graduate courses next year. All of which are much harder feats by several orders of magnitude.

What you're doing is still beyond the norm for the average freshmen. All those examples are of people who are outside the norm, and if you're comparing them to yourself, don't you think that indicates that what you're doing is outside the norm?

I'm not bashing you. You should be proud of the level and number of courses your taking!

Winter

Honors Calculus III
Statistics I
Linear Algebra I
Methods of Proof in Mathematics

Got an Email from my department today saying that it wasn’t humanly possible for a freshman to take 4 math classes and that I should consider dropping one.

Spring

Honors Calculus IV
Linear Algebra II
General Physics III
Upper division Society and the Individual course- not sure which one yet

When I first asked about your schedule, all I wanted to know is how were you able to take those advanced courses in your freshman year. With that being said, I don't understand why you had to get offended over a couple posters questioning the veracity your schedule.

Oriako said:
Winter:
PHYS 227 - Classical Physics
MATH 211 - Linear Algebra
AMAT 217 - Honours Calculus
CHEM 211 - General Chemistry
ARKY 201 - Introduction to Archaeology

Spring:
PHYS 255 - Electromagnetic Theory I
CPSC 217 - Introduction to Computer Science
AMAT 219 - Multivariable Calculus
ASPH 213 - Introduction to Astrophysics
ARKY 325 - Ancient Civilizations

What do you guys think? This would be my first year, I'm doing a Bsc (Honours) Astrophysics with a minor in Archaeology!
Hey! Based on the course codes and titles, I'm pretty sure you'll be going to my school. As a matter of fact, if not for a few differences that was pretty much my first year in physics.

BTW, you should know that the terms you will be taking those courses are the Fall and Winter semesters. I know it's largely semantics, but if you tried to register for those courses in Winter and then Spring, you'd be able to take less than half of those courses. Also, if you want to take the honours calculus sequence, then you should take MATH 281-283-381 (381 in 2nd year). AMAT 217-219-309 is the applied math sequence that usually physics and engineer students take.

I got my grades back yesterday for the fall semester, it was my lowest GPA semester, simply due to lack of interest in a few of my (Chemistry and Psych), though 3.56 isn't bad for an all time low (granted only 2 semesters into undergrad). I am a double major in Physics and Mathematics Education.

Fall
CHE 1040: General Chemistry I-(B)
MAT 1510: Calculus I-(A)
PSY 2010: General Psychology-(B)
PHY 2110: General Physics I-(A)
REL 3000: Christian Tradition-(A-)(probably my hardest course this semester)

For the spring-
MAT 1400: Perspectives in Mathematics (T 12:10-1:00)
EDU 1500: Foundations of Education (T 4:25-7:25 PM)
MAT 1520: Calculus II (TR 8:00-9:15, M 12:00-12:50)
PHY 2120: General Physics II (MWF 2:00-2:50, Lab-R 1:35-4:25)
MAT 2600: Intro to Abstract Mathematics (MWF 9:00-9:50)
PSY 3411: Intro to the Exceptional Learner (R 6:00-9:00 PM)

All together 19 hours since Calc II, Physics II and Foundations are 4 hours then Perspectives is just a 1 hour credit. The big difficulty is going to be a practicum I have to complete during Foundations of Education.

I see some of you with such big time commitments. I mean, I get concerned whenever I take more than four upper-level classes, but some of you have at least five and don't even seem too terribly concerned. How do you handle it?

Second semester:

Honors Inorganic & General Chemistry II
Physics II: Electricity & Magnetism
Elementary Korean II
Poverty and Inequality in Latin America (yay liberal ed requirements)
Multivariable Calculus

Intro Abstract Algebra
Advanced Calculus I
Differential Equations
Introduction to Waves
Philosophy of the Arts

Pre-Calculas I
English Composition II
American History II

Until last semester, I haven't had a class in 13 years. I got an A in both Int. Algebra and Eng Comp I. I'm hoping to do all my Gen Eds at Comm Col, then transfer to TN Tech for Mech Eng.

I know at some point I will have to quit my job, but for now I'm paying my own way, and paying cash for my wife to go to Law School.

Can't do much math in my math major till I get out of Calc II - just coming back after a long absence from school, so:

Precalculus
Stellar Astronomy and Cosmology
Film Studies
Survey of Jazz (online course)

Astronomy and Cosmology doesn't count for anything for my major, but will all the humanities I had to take I was hungry for more science. I am looking forward to these particular humanities courses, though. Film studies should be fun and includes a movie on Monday nights. Jazz should be no problem since I've played jazz guitar for about 13 years and probably own half the stuff they're going to cover on CD.

It's my 2nd time through Pre-calc (it's been 10 years), not counting high school, and I've been studying for the past few months on my own. I'm ready to go. Kind of antsy actually - I want to get started. The fun starts next year when I get to Calc III which opens up all the other math courses.

-DaveKA

Numerical Methods
Modern Physics
Math Methods in Physics
Intro to Proofs
Complex Variables
Physics 2 Lab (changing majors left me behind on labs)
Ballroom Dance

Numerical Analysis
Complex Variables
Number Theory
Partial Differential Equations
Intro to Modern Physics

Can't wait!

Spring 2011 (subject to change):

8.06 Quantum Physics III
8.962 General Relativity
18.112 Complex Analysis
6.002 Circuit Analysis/Design
21M.351 Music Composition Seminar
+research in plasma physics

It looks like mine is going to be:

Electronics II + lab
Partial Differential Equations
Probability and Stats for Engineers
Modern Physics II + lab

If it was just the lectures, I wouldn't be really worried but I know from experience with the first parts of Electronics and Modern Physics that the labs are very time consuming so I'm not sure whether to ask to leave those out and do them another semester or drop one class so i have more time to give to each class.

winter quarter 2011:
Phys 116a: Mathematical Methods in Physics
Phys 101b: Modern Physics
Phys 133: Intermediate Physics lab

I'm lazy this semester.

Spring 2011:

Physics II (Lecture & Lab)
Calculus III
French II

hmm Fall 2010
Honors Calculus I (real analysis and linear algebra)
Honors Physics Mechanics
Honors Chemistry I (quantum chemstry stuff)
Music Theory 2

Spring 2011
Honors Calculus 2 (more linear algebra and differential equations)
Honors Physics E&M
Principles of Modern Physics
Microeconomic Theory
Intro to Probability Theory
Computer Programming and Techniques I

drkatzin said:
Spring 2011 (subject to change):

8.06 Quantum Physics III
8.962 General Relativity
18.112 Complex Analysis
6.002 Circuit Analysis/Design
21M.351 Music Composition Seminar
+research in plasma physics

Do you go to MIT?

Atomic and Molecular Physics
Intro to Topology
Abstract Algebra
Quantum

Mariomaruf said:
Do you go to MIT?

Yep.

Second semester, first year mechanical engineering:

Calculus for Mechanical
Engineering Graphics 2
Engineering Materials 2
Engineering Mechanics 2 ( 1 was statics, 2 is dynamics)
Manufacturing Processes
Physics for Mechanical
Strength of Materials

I posted here last month, but now I'm three days into my semester and my schedule is finalized.

General Topology
Linear Algebra II
Graph Theory
Statistical Theory II
Independent research (Ramsey theory)

All I can really say at this point is that Topology is hard!

You guys make me feel so unintelligent with your crazy math classes haha but here goes:

Statistical Mechanics
Thermodynamics/Kinetics
Quantum Chemistry
Cell Biology
Computer Science I

Physics E&M (200 level) with Lab
Differential Equations (200 level)
Intro to Engineering: Design Course (100 level)
Undergraduate Research

15 credits. Not too bad. I'm a first year if that wasnt obvious already haha. My schedule is about the same as last semester and I got a 3.8 then so I am hoping to continue that :)

I'm currently registered for:

Complex Variables II
Differential Geometry II
Basic Probability
Functional Analysis
Philosophy of Mind
Advanced Logic

I'm actually really excited for all my courses this semester!

It's going to be so much work, though. I'll have to be sure to devote sufficient time to each course, and not push any to the back burner. But I'm glad to finally be moving towards good study habits as a sophomore.

My schedule has undergone some changes.
(credit hours)
HPE 1500-Health and Wellness (2)
MAT 1400-Perspectives in Math (1)
MAT 1520-Calculus II (4)
MAT 2600-Intro to Abstract Math (3)
MAT 3020-Differential Equations (not for credit, auditing)
PHY 2120-General Physics II (4)
PHY 2130-Statics (3)
PHY 4340-Research Project in Physics (1)

I love how my schedule is all math and physics, excluding health and wellness. Should be a fun semester.

Calculus 1552 (II)
Physics 2101 (I)
Biology 1001
American History 2057 (post civil war)
Computer Science 2533

16 hours so far. Wait listed for a Construction Management. That'll bump me up to 18.