Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential Alpha source material

1. Dec 31, 2012 #1
    Hello Physics Enthusiasts

The other day I received in the mail a uranium ore sample from United Nuclear, with a radiation measurement of 2,500cpm, intending to use it as a particle source for my replication of the famous Gold-Foil experiment, the theory for which was devised by Ernest Rutherford (he didn't actually perform the experiment himself, regardless of what most people today think). I was just wondering if this would be a good alpha source. If not, what else could I find for relatively cheap that would be adequate for my purposes? Plus any information on what to look for in particle sources would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Americium is often used as source of alpha radiation. I don't know of any specific requirements for the scattering experiment - if all alpha particles have the same energy, this could simplify the analysis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook