Potential at all points due to uniformly charged infinite cylinder

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
oddjobmj
Messages
305
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Infinitely long cylinder of radius R with uniform charge ρ. Calculate the electric potential at all points in space.


Homework Equations



V(a)-V(b)=-∫ba[itex]\vec{E}[/itex]([itex]\vec{r}[/itex]')°dr'[itex]\hat{r}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution



Generally potential is calculated with a reference point at r=∞ but in the case of an infinite cylinder I believe the integral above would diverge because the potential at ∞ (V(∞)) would not necessarily equal zero. What I did then is simply provide an arbitrary r' vector as the reference point and went through the problem as one would normally do so with a non-infinite charged object. Is this okay? Do I have to do something extra because of the non-zero reference point?

Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It is right, but better to show your work.

ehild