1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential at all points due to uniformly charged infinite cylinder

1. Sep 15, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Infinitely long cylinder of radius R with uniform charge ρ. Calculate the electric potential at all points in space.

2. Relevant equations

V(a)-V(b)=-∫ba[itex]\vec{E}[/itex]([itex]\vec{r}[/itex]')°dr'[itex]\hat{r}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Generally potential is calculated with a reference point at r=∞ but in the case of an infinite cylinder I believe the integral above would diverge because the potential at ∞ (V(∞)) would not necessarily equal zero. What I did then is simply provide an arbitrary r' vector as the reference point and went through the problem as one would normally do so with a non-infinite charged object. Is this okay? Do I have to do something extra because of the non-zero reference point?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2014 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is right, but better to show your work.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted