Potential energy for a dipole between 2 infinitely large charged sheets

In summary: Finally, you can find the electric field due to the dipole by adding the components of the electric field made by each sheet and the electric field made by the dipole itself. In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the maximum potential energy and torque of a dipole placed between two infinitely large sheets with opposite charge densities. The electric field between the sheets is calculated using the Gauss law and the electric field due to the dipole is found by adding the components of both electric fields. The dipole should be oriented so that its negative charge faces the negatively charged sheet for maximum potential energy.
Emethyst

Homework Statement

A dipole consisting of charges +/- e 220 nm apart is placed between two very large (essentially infinite) sheets carrying equal but opposite charge densities of 125 uC/m^2.

a) What is the maximum potential energy this dipole can have due to the sheets, and how should it be oriented relative to the sheets to attain this value?

b) What is the maximum torque the sheets can exert on the dipole, and how should it be oriented relative to the sheets to attain this value?

c) What net force do the two sheets exert on the dipole?

Homework Equations

U = -pEcos([itex]\phi[/itex])
p = qd
E = [itex]\lambda[/itex]/2[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]\epsilon[/itex]x
where [itex]\lambda[/itex] is the linear charge density, [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is the permittivity of free space, and x is a distance for a point P from the sheet.
[itex]\sigma[/itex] = q/A (surface charge density)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can see from the start that once I acquire a) the rest of the question should go smoothly. Where I am stuck is trying to calculate the initial electric field between the infinite sheets that the dipole lies in. What I tried to do was first find the linear charge density from the given surface density, arriving at a value of 11.2 uC/m by simply taking the square root of the 125 uC/m^2.

Next I treated each sheet as essentially lying where the point charges of the dipole lie (aka giving a distance of 220 nm between each sheet). With the distance found I then plugged this along with all other needed values into the electric field equation provided (the equation for the electric field strength for a point P a distance x away from an infinitely large sheet I found in my textbook).

From there I then multiplied this value by the dipole moment to arrive at an answer of 3.22 x 10^-14 J for the potential energy. I already know for maximum potential energy the dipole should be oriented so that its negative charge faces the negatively charged sheet (dipole moment should be in the opposite direction of the electric field, giving an angle of 180 to make cos[itex]\phi[/itex] = -1 and thus cancel out the negative from the potential energy equation). My concern is that I think I am making too many assumptions (ex. about the distance between the two sheets) and am ultimately calculating the external electric field wrong. If someone could tell me if I am right or wrong, and if wrong point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are calculating the electric field between the two sheets wrong? What is that equation [itex]E = \lambda / 2 \pi \epsilon x[/itex] ? That's not the equation for the electric field between infinite parallel sheets.

You can find the electric field due to an infinite charged sheet by using the Gauss law. Then you can find the electric field between two of them by adding the components of the electric field made by each one of the sheets.

1. What is potential energy for a dipole between 2 infinitely large charged sheets?

Potential energy for a dipole between 2 infinitely large charged sheets is the amount of energy required to bring two oppositely charged particles (or sheets) close together. It is a measure of the work that must be done to overcome the electrostatic force between the particles.

2. How is potential energy calculated for a dipole between 2 infinitely large charged sheets?

The potential energy for a dipole between 2 infinitely large charged sheets can be calculated using the formula U = -pE, where U is the potential energy, p is the magnitude of the dipole moment, and E is the electric field between the two sheets.

3. What factors affect the potential energy for a dipole between 2 infinitely large charged sheets?

The potential energy for a dipole between 2 infinitely large charged sheets is affected by the magnitude of the charges on the sheets, the distance between the sheets, and the orientation of the dipole relative to the electric field.

4. How does the potential energy change as the distance between the sheets changes?

The potential energy for a dipole between 2 infinitely large charged sheets decreases as the distance between the sheets increases. This is because the electrostatic force between the sheets decreases as the distance increases, resulting in a decrease in potential energy.

5. Can the potential energy for a dipole between 2 infinitely large charged sheets be negative?

Yes, the potential energy for a dipole between 2 infinitely large charged sheets can be negative. This occurs when the orientation of the dipole is such that the electrostatic force is attractive, causing a decrease in potential energy.