1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential Energy of 2 Spherical Shells

1. Oct 29, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the energy required to assemble two uniform hollow spheres of charge q between radii a and b with a volume charge density roh-v. The shells are separated by a distance c.

*description of picture* - two identical spherical shells with inner radius a and outer radius b separated by a distance c

2. Relevant equations

dQ = 4*pi*roh-v*R dR^2 <--- "add incremental rings of charge dQ in order to assemble a hollow sphere of charge"

Q of one sphere = roh-v*pi*R^3

dW = V dQ

3. The attempt at a solution

I know how to do this problem with one solid sphere. I am unsure of how the second sphere and the distance c changes the problem.

Do I find the potential to assemble one sphere and then double it (for the second sphere) and then multiply it by the potential of the two sphere configuration?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why don't you try doing that and see how it goes?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted