1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential inside (and outside) a charged spherical shell

1. Sep 28, 2008 #1
    [solved] Potential inside (and outside) a charged spherical shell

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use the integral (i) to determine the potential V(x) both inside and outside a uniformly charge spherical surface, with total charge Q and radius R.

2. Relevant equations
    (i) V([tex]\vec{x}[/tex]) = [tex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\int\frac{\rho(\vec{x'})d^{3}x'}{|\vec{x}-\vec{x'}|}[/tex]
    [tex]\rho(\vec{x'}) = \frac{Q}{4\pi R^{2}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    if the x vector is along the z axis (can exploit spherical symmetry), then |x-x'| = [tex]\sqrt{x^{2} + R^{2} - 2xRcos\theta}[/tex]. (using cosine law)
    Then
    V([tex]\vec{x}[/tex]) = [tex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{Q}{2}\int_{0}^{\pi}\frac{sin\theta d\theta}{\sqrt{x^{2} + R^{2} - 2xRcos\theta}}[/tex]

V(x) = [tex]\frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}x}[/tex]
    or
    V(r) = [tex]\frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}r}[/tex]
    Which is correct for outside the spherical shell, but I can't figure out how |x - x'| would be any different (or what else should be different) for inside the spherical shell to get
    V(r) = [tex]\frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}R}[/tex]

I realize there are better/easier ways of doing this, but the question says to use that integral specifically...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Shouldn't you have:

[tex]V(x)=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{Q}{2} \int_0^{x} \int_{0}^{\pi }\frac{sin \theta ' dx' d \theta '}{\sqrt{(x')^{2} + R^{2} - 2(x')Rcos \theta '}}[/tex]

I understand that the integration over [itex]\phi '[/itex] gave you [itex]2 \pi[/itex] , but what happened to the integration over [itex]x'[/itex]?

4. Sep 28, 2008 #3
    Well [tex]d^{3}x'[/tex] turns into [tex]r^{2}sin\theta dr d\theta d\phi[/tex] and since r is constant at R (spherical shell) then an R^2 comes out of the integral and cancels the R^2 in the denominator from the charge density rho = Q / (4 pi R^2).

I also figured out the problem, after integration:
    [tex]V(x) = \frac{Q}{4\pi \epsilon_{0}} \frac{1}{2xR} [\sqrt{(R + x)^{2}} - \sqrt{(R - x)^{2}}][/tex]
    and I forgot to consider the different cases for [tex]\sqrt{(R - x)^{2}}[/tex] when x > R (outside spherical shell) and x<R (inside).

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  5. Sep 28, 2008 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since your dealing with a surface charge, and not a volume charge, you should have:

[tex] V(\vec{x})=\int \frac{\sigma (\vec{r'}) d^2 x'}{|\vec{x}-\vec{x'}|}[/tex]

where [itex]\sigma (\vec{r'})= Q/4 \pi R^2 [/itex] is the surface charge density.

6. Sep 28, 2008 #5
    Yes, you're right. The form I used was ambiguous, sorry about that!
    I guess I just jumped right to using [tex]R^{2}sin\theta' d\theta' d\phi[/tex] as the surface area element.
    I have solved the problem though, thanks for the assistance!

7. Sep 28, 2008 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No problem, but I wasn't much assistance:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?