1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential inside of chrged non-conductive sphere

1. Oct 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A charge is distributed uniformly throughout a non-conducting spherical volume of radius R. Show, that the potential at distance r from center (r<R) is given by:
    V=q(3*R^2-r^2)/(8*PI*e0*R^3)

2. Relevant equations
    From Gauss low:
    E(r)=q*r/(4*PI*e0*R^3)

E(r)=-grad(V(r))

3. The attempt at a solution
    After integrating I got:
    V(r)=-q*R^2/(8*PI*e0*R^3)
    which is in fact stupid, as it yields V=0 at r=0. So probably I integrated with wrong limits.
    How to obtain correct formula?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2008 #2
    I made a small mistake in typing the formula on V that I obtained. It should be:
    V(r)=-q*r^2/(8*PI*e0*R^3)

4. Oct 3, 2008 #3
    And R = radius of gaussian surface
    r = radius of your sphere?
    please be precise.

5. Oct 3, 2008 #4
    Never mind, I've solved it.

You have two different functions for the electric field.
    If r > R, [tex] E = \frac{kQ}{r^2} [/tex] where [tex] k = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} [/tex]
    if r < R, [tex] E = \frac{kQr}{R^3} [/tex]

so V of r < R will be the negative integral of r > R from R to infinity plus the negative integral of r < R from r to R.

[tex] V = - \int^{R}_{\infty} \frac{kQ}{r^2}dr - \int^{r}_{R} \frac{kQr}{R^3}dr [/tex]

[tex] V = \frac{kR}{R} - \frac{kR}{2R^3}(r^2-R^2) = \frac{2kQR^2}{2R^3} + \frac{kQR^2}{2R^3} - \frac{kQr^2}{2R^3} = \frac{kQ(3R^2 - r^2)}{2R^3} [/tex]

subbing k back in = [tex] \frac{Q(3R^2 - r^2)}{8 \pi \epsilon_0 R^3} [/tex]

phew.. Hope there are no errors in that haha. I have been up for far too many consecutive hours..

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  6. Oct 3, 2008 #5
    Thank you very much for the reply!
    I have just one more question: why should I integrate from infinity to zero, not from zero to infinity?

7. Oct 3, 2008 #6
    Sorry again: from inf to r not from r to inf, I meant.

8. Oct 3, 2008 #7
    One more correction:
    Why should I integrate from infinity to r not from zero to r?
    I hope, now it's ok...

9. Oct 3, 2008 #8
    because if we integrated from zero to r, that would give us V for inside the gaussian surface aswell as inside the sphere.

Sorry for the late reply I was away for sometime.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?