• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Potential inside sphere with empty cavity

• Thread starter bfusco
  • Start date

Homework Statement

An insulating sphere of radius R , centered at point A, has uniform chagre density ρ. A spherical cavity of radius R / 2 , centered at point C, is then cut out and left empty, see Fig.

(a) Find magnitude and direction of the electric field at points A and B.

(b) Find the potential at points A and B. Set V(r → ∞) = 0.

(c) Write down an algebraic solution (no integrals!) for E(r) and V (r) for the space outside the larger sphere, r > R. Choose r = 0 at point A, and the radius vector of point C as r = RC .

(question1) in the uploaded file

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)First I want to figure out the volume charge distribution, which I wanted to do by finding the the volume of the whole sphere minus the volume of the cavity.
[tex] \int_V \rho \cdot dVolume = \frac{4}{3}\pi \rho (R^3-\frac{R^3}{8})=\frac{7}{6}\pi R^3 \rho [/tex]

Then to get [itex] E_B [/itex] I wanted to use Gauss' law, but Im not sure how i would set that up because the E field isnt isotropic, so instead Im trying to use the equation for E-field of a volume charge distribution:
[tex] E(r)=k\int \frac{dq \hat{s}}{s^2} [/tex]
Where i just calculated dq. [itex] s^2=R [/itex], but im not sure what [itex] \hat{s} [/itex] is

Attachments

Answers and Replies

thinking about it though, im pretty sure that what i got for dq is wrong, because i dont think what i did takes into account that the cavity isn't centered at the origin

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Treat it as one sphere minus another. Find the fields and potentials for each sphere and take the difference.