Potential life in Earth's methane lakes

In summary: Methane in crude oil is typically in the gaseous form, but under high pressure and temperature the molecules can change form. There are many possible reasons why methane might contain life, but it's hard to say without more information.
dimensionless
There has been some discussion about whether the methane lakes on Titan could harbor life. What I haven't seen discussed is the potential for life in Earth's methane lakes. There are many underground reservoir's on Earth that contain light hydrocarbons such as methane. If I'm not mistaken, the methane is under pressure and should be in liquid form. I suppose no one has preserved methane in its natural liquid state and put it under a microscope. Has no one looked for life in crude oil? I realize no one knows what to look for as radically different life forms might not have DNA. Still, there been so little discussion on this.

Biology news on Phys.org
I was under the impression that at least some of the methane in the Earth's crust is biogenic in origin
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0009254188901015

EDIT: It also seems that extremophile methanogens exist near ocean vents and possible in the crust and there are organisms called methanotrophs that use methane in their metabolism.

dimensionless said:
There has been some discussion about whether the methane lakes on Titan could harbor life. What I haven't seen discussed is the potential for life in Earth's methane lakes. There are many underground reservoir's on Earth that contain light hydrocarbons such as methane. If I'm not mistaken, the methane is under pressure and should be in liquid form. I suppose no one has preserved methane in its natural liquid state and put it under a microscope. Has no one looked for life in crude oil? I realize no one knows what to look for as radically different life forms might not have DNA. Still, there been so little discussion on this.

All methane on Earth that is buried in the Earth's crust is in the gas form. It is far too warm to be compressed into a liquid. The critical temperature for methane is -82.3°C.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methane
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_point_(thermodynamics)

I find the idea of potential life in Earth's methane lakes to be intriguing and worth exploring further. While much of the focus has been on the possibility of life in Titan's methane lakes, it is important to also consider the potential for life in similar environments on our own planet.

There are indeed underground reservoirs on Earth that contain methane, and it is possible that these could support microbial life. However, it is important to note that the conditions in these reservoirs may vary greatly from those on Titan's surface. The pressure, temperature, and chemical composition of the methane lakes on Titan are unique and may be more conducive to the development of life.

Regarding the use of microscopy to observe potential life in methane lakes, it is worth noting that traditional microscopy techniques may not be suitable for studying microorganisms in hydrocarbon-rich environments. Alternative methods, such as molecular techniques, may be more appropriate for detecting and identifying potential life in these environments.

Your point about the potential for radically different life forms is also valid. While we often look for DNA-based life, it is possible that life forms in methane lakes may have a different genetic code or even lack DNA altogether. This highlights the need for open-mindedness and a broad range of approaches when searching for potential life in unconventional environments.

In terms of looking for life in crude oil, there have been some studies that have investigated the microbial communities present in these environments. However, the extreme conditions and complex chemistry of crude oil can make it challenging to accurately identify and study potential life forms.

Overall, I agree that there has been relatively little discussion on the potential for life in Earth's methane lakes and believe that further research in this area could yield interesting insights and discoveries. It is important to continue exploring and studying these environments to expand our understanding of the diversity of life on our planet.

1. What are methane lakes and where are they found on Earth?

Methane lakes are bodies of liquid methane found on the surface of Saturn's moon, Titan. They are also found in smaller quantities on Earth, in places such as the Arctic and Antarctic regions, as well as in some wetlands and peat bogs.

2. Is there any evidence for potential life in Earth's methane lakes?

Currently, there is no definitive evidence for life in Earth's methane lakes. However, there have been several studies that have found the presence of microbial life in methane-rich environments, suggesting that it is possible for life to exist in these conditions.

3. How do scientists study potential life in Earth's methane lakes?

Scientists use various techniques to study potential life in Earth's methane lakes, including remote sensing, sampling and analysis of water and sediment samples, and genetic analysis of microbial communities.

4. What types of organisms could potentially live in Earth's methane lakes?

Many different types of organisms have been found to thrive in methane-rich environments, including certain types of bacteria, archaea, and even some eukaryotic microorganisms. Some scientists also hypothesize that more complex organisms, such as methane-eating animals, could potentially exist in these environments.

5. Could potential life in Earth's methane lakes have any implications for extraterrestrial life?

Studying potential life in Earth's methane lakes can provide valuable insights into the conditions under which life can exist and thrive. This information can be applied to the search for life on other planets and moons, particularly those with methane-rich environments, such as Titan.