Potential of Dipole I think I am close to completing it

  • Thread starter Thread starter maherelharake
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Dipole Potential
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
maherelharake
Messages
261
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



We have 2 points charges qa and qb. Qa =2 nC and is at the origin while
Qb =-10nC and is at (x0,z0)=(4,2)m.

a. Find the real potential for an arbitrary x and z.
b. Find the monopole/dipole moments.
c. Find the potential due to these moments and compare with the correct value for points along the x axis.



Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I have attached what I have done. I think I am close, but I can't get my part 'c' to check out, so I think something is wrong. Thanks.
 
Attachments
  • Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 459
Physics news on Phys.org
What doesn't check out? You calculated the potential due to the moments so now you should compare it with the exact value along the x axis.
 
When I was comparing the potential due to these moments with the correct value, I couldn't get them to match. Sorry, I should have explained that better.
 
Of course the two will not match exactly. That's what multipole expansion is about. The question is by how much they will differ from the correct result.