Potential of Dipole I think I am close to completing it

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the real potential, monopole/dipole moments, and potential due to these moments for two point charges qa = 2 nC and qb = -10 nC located at the origin and (4,2)m respectively. The conversation also mentions comparing the calculated potential with the correct value along the x axis, taking into account the differences due to multipole expansion.
maherelharake

Homework Statement

We have 2 points charges qa and qb. Qa =2 nC and is at the origin while
Qb =-10nC and is at (x0,z0)=(4,2)m.

a. Find the real potential for an arbitrary x and z.
b. Find the monopole/dipole moments.
c. Find the potential due to these moments and compare with the correct value for points along the x axis.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attached what I have done. I think I am close, but I can't get my part 'c' to check out, so I think something is wrong. Thanks.

Attachments

• Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 385
Physics news on Phys.org
What doesn't check out? You calculated the potential due to the moments so now you should compare it with the exact value along the x axis.

When I was comparing the potential due to these moments with the correct value, I couldn't get them to match. Sorry, I should have explained that better.

Of course the two will not match exactly. That's what multipole expansion is about. The question is by how much they will differ from the correct result.

Oh alright, I see that now. Thanks.

1. What is a dipole?

A dipole refers to a molecule or particle that has a positive and negative charge, creating an electric field between the two charges. This can occur in situations such as unequal sharing of electrons in a covalent bond or a separation of charges in a polar molecule.

2. How is the potential of a dipole calculated?

The potential of a dipole is calculated using the formula V = kq/r, where V is the potential energy, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the magnitude of the charges, and r is the distance between the charges.

3. What factors affect the potential of a dipole?

The potential of a dipole is affected by the magnitude of the charges, the distance between the charges, and the orientation of the dipole. Additionally, the medium in which the dipole exists can also impact its potential.

4. How can the potential of a dipole be measured?

The potential of a dipole can be measured using an instrument called a voltmeter. This device measures the potential difference between the positive and negative charges of the dipole.

5. What is the significance of understanding the potential of dipoles?

Understanding the potential of dipoles is important in many fields, including chemistry, physics, and engineering. It allows us to understand and predict the behavior of molecules and particles, as well as design and optimize various technologies, such as electronic devices and sensors.