1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential of two infinite lines of charge

1. Feb 28, 2008 #1
    This is the question I have: consider the system formed by two infinitely long line charges located in the xy plane running parallel to the x axis at y = + and - a and carrying uniform charge densities + and - lambda respectively. Find the elctrical potential at all points in space using the origin as your referenc point.

Because the lines of charge do not run along the x axis, I assume that I'm going to have to use curly r in my answer (ie. r minus r prime). So, assuming I use the equation that involves the integral of lambda over curly r, integrated over r prime, how do I rewrite curly r so that I can integrate properly?

Or am I going about this all wrong?

Any advice would be appreciated.

W. =)
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2008 #2

Use Gauss's law to get the E field of a single line charge.
    Then, just add the E's from each line charge.
  4. Feb 28, 2008 #3
    I'm looking for potential, not the electric field.

Also, because the lines of charge run parallel to the x axis, not along it, then r doesn't originate at the x axis, so I'll need to figure out how to compensate for that (which is what I'm having difficulty with).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?