1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential Outside charged metal sphere in uniform E field

1. Oct 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the potential outside a charged metal sphere (charge Q, radius R) placed in an otherwise uniform electric field E0. Explain clearly where you are setting the zero of potential.

2. The attempt at a solution
    So for this problem I figured I could exploit superposition and take the potential outside a neutral sphere in a uniform field in the z direction. This potential is V1(r, θ) = -E0(r - R3/r2)cosθ. Then I figured I could simply use the potential outside a uniformly charged sphere of charge Q which would be V2(r, θ) = 1/4πε0Q/r. Then the solution would become V(r, θ) = V1(r, θ) + V2(r, θ) where the zero would have to be along the xy plane where r →∞ since, that is where the potential vanishes by inspection. The only hangup I am having here is whether I am using superposition correctly. Is my argument valid here?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In the field the sphere cannot be uniformly charged - it's a conductor.

4. Oct 6, 2015 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Simon, I've been pondering over this one, too. Jon treats it as a superposition, so wouldn't that include the non-uniform charge redistribution to get the V1 ?

5. Oct 6, 2015 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I see nothing wrong with this approach.

One way to model the uniform E field is via two point charges of opposite polarity placed at + and - long distances from the sphere, and choosing q of each appropriately. In this way a uniform E field of any desired direction and magnitude can be modeled with just two point charges .

Then we take an uncharged sphere in this E field and place image charges within it arranged to satisfy the equipotential of the sphere's surface. Then, making the sphere charged just adds the extra point charge Q to the sphere's center. Then superposition is just adding the E fields due to the image charges (there are two of them) and extra charge Q, plus the two charges setting up the E field, all five of which being point charges and amenable to superposition.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  6. Oct 7, 2015 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Everybody lose interest? Too bad, I thought it was a good problem ...

Extra observation: how do we know placing the charge Q on the sphere will be at the center? Answer: because any other location would spoil the equipotential set up by the external E field and the image charges.

7. Oct 10, 2015 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

A charge Q on the sphere won't be at the center because it is "on the sphere".
    Its not so much a matter of losing interest as a matter of no further comment from OP.

8. Oct 11, 2015 #7

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

We are talking image charges here. One at the center = Q, the other two at distances +/- R^2/d from the center, d being the distance from the sphere to each of the charges setting up the external field. So, 5 image charges. Obviously, there are no charges within the sphere.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted