Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential step with E = V0; classically forbidden or allowed?

1. Sep 30, 2013 #1
    In describing a potential step where E = V0, with an interval 1 defined as x < 0 before the step and an interval 2 as x > 0 after the step, is the wave function in interval 2 classically allowed or classically forbidden, i.e. is it an oscillating function or a decaying exponential function?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2013 #2
    Try solving the time-independent Schrodinger equation for the constant potential V(x)=V0 with E=V0. What do you get?

4. Sep 30, 2013 #3
    you get the ordinary differential equation

d^2/dx^2(y)=0

with solution

y=Ax+b

But, what I am interested in is solving this problem by defining the wave functions in the given intervals as either classically forbidden or classically allowed and then from those values determining the probability current densities for each interval and then the reflection and transmission percentages.

But to do this, I need to determine how to define interval 2 as CA or CF.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook